Hafnarfjörður

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• This volcano is called what?

Iceland Sep 10, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I wanted to ask. volcanoes in this video is called what?
      youtube.com/watch?v=aRsPeDQw...

more
    • PaulW85's Profile Photo

October 4-18th travel plans

Iceland Aug 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Hi all, I have a trip planned for the dates above. And have a few questions. I've identified a couple of trips on Frommers:

frommers.com/destinations/ic...
      frommers.com/destinations/ic...

The rough plan will be to land. Rent a car and amalgamate the two trips to do the full loop around Iceland. My questions are about the time of year and the costs.

- In the second trip, the author ventures off the ring road and into the northwest coastal region. Will that still be feasible in October?
      - Are there any obvious choices to skip in that road trip? As my 13 days need to get me all the way around Iceland.
      - Approximate cost for a 4x4 for 12-13 days and suggestions on where to book.
      - Approximate cost for hotels/hostels in these areas, and if I need to book prior (i'm hoping it not being peak season should make it easy)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

more
    • Cheap Campingstore

Reykjavík Aug 18, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Hay! I'm going to travel to Reykjavik. I'm planning on camping all the time. I need to get to a campingstore in Reykjavik for some supplies. Anybody has a place for that?
      Also: they say wild camping is prohibited in Reykjavik... Is it easy to do wild camping? Is there space? What should i look out for when wild camping (locationwise). Thanks!

more
    • mbriito's Profile Photo

Blue Lagoon without tickets

Iceland Sep 12, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Well I was planning to go to Blue Lagoon (without enter in the water) but I was wondering if you can visit the area (I mean, only see the lake) without those (expensive) tickets...

more
    • Whole Iceland in 3 days?

Iceland Sep 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Just kidding :)

My wife and I will be in Iceland for three days in the very end of September. After reading forum posts I came up with the following plan. Can someone comment?

Day 1. Arriving to KEF at 6:50 am. Renting a car, out by 8 am. Driving towards Blue lagoon but by a longer route, along the shore on Southern Peninsula (Rt 41/425), stopping at the Bridge, geothermal area (where else?). Arriving to Blue lagoon around 10:30. Soak for 3 hours, leaving at 1:30, in Reykjavik by 2:30. Check-in, go see the city while everything is still open.

Day 2. Drive Golden Circle. If we leave early and have time, are there some nice places that we can include outside the circle route that are within reasonable distance and do not require 4x4?

Day 3. Here I have 2 options. Either drive to Borgarfjörður, then around Snæfellsness and back, OR go to Reykjadalur valley for hot springs, then to Sólheimajökull glacier.
      I plan to check weather in the morning and if it is better in one place, go there. If it is sunny in both places, or raining in both places, I don't know which one to choose. Advice?
      If we get to the glacier, are there any places to rent crampons and/or to join a guided walk on the glacier?

Fly out early morning on day 4.

Also, one of the evenings we would do drive somewhere to see the auroras. How to figure out where to go and how far from the city? What time do they usually start? Do they last for hours or is it a short "performance"?

How wrong am I in this plan? Is a small sedan enough for these trips (really cheap at $50/day at the airport).

Also, can someone recommend a truly romantic, not very expensive restaurant?

more
    • Glacier in winter time

Iceland Sep 11, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Hi all,

I am planning to go to Iceland in mid-nov as well and I am interested in visiting glacier.

Just wondering, are glacier tours gonna close in mid-nov? And what else will be closed around that period of time? Any other things need to be consider while traveling in the time?

Thank you so much.

Cheers,
      Young

more
    • Traveling Solo to Iceland in Early-Mid November!! Any Solo Trip Ideas?

Iceland Sep 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hey Everybody!

I had a thread on here previously about coming in October with some friends but due to some unforseen circumstances I will be traveling to Iceland now in the beginning of November instead BY MYSELF! I'll be coming for 5-6 full days and since I will be by myself I'll be looking to do some fun excursions along with being in areas where there are a lot of people to meet.

1. Any must do suggestions for November (besides blue lagoon, which I'll be doing)?
      2. Are there any good hostels in Reykjavik? Always seems to be the best way to meet fellow travelers..
      3. Are excursions to the ice caves worthy and which is the best to go on?

I would like to fill every days with as many activities as possible so I'm still short a 3-4 days of activities :).

Appreciate any feedback you can give!

more
    • KseniaV's Profile Photo

Urgently searching for an accommodation

Reykjavík Aug 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Hello,

My name is Ksenia and I come from Estonia,Tallinn. I'll be studying as an exchange student at the University of Iceland for one semester. Couple of days ago I arrived to Iceland and temporarily staying at my friends place. But I am urgently searching for a room to rent! I am looking for a room or a person who is looking for a roommate or something that would locate more enough close to the university of Iceland and cost maximum about 300-350 eur per month. It is really hard to find a room now, because of the high season period. Is there somebody who knows smthing about this?
      My email is reitachan@gmail.com
      Looking forward for your replies,

Ksenia

more
    • 3 days in Iceland

Iceland Aug 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I will be in Reykjavik for 3 days in the middle of September. What is the best way to spend these days - to see a lot, to experience a lot? Where to go? Does it make sense to rent a car? Is there something that will warrant staying there overnight rather than returning to Reykjavik?

I will be with my friends but they might have their own itinerary, not sure yet.

more
    • briantravelman's Profile Photo

What is this place in Iceland?

Iceland Aug 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I found this place on Google Earth, completely by accident, and now I can’t find it again. It was this place were the ground was covered with moss, and there were several small lakes, and the lakes had some rocks and islands. It was in a pretty remote part of the country.
      I remember I was looking for places where there are forests, so it must be somewhere in or near a forested area, which should narrow it down quite a bit. I think it was in the north of the country, but I’m not 100% sure. The areas was also flat, no mountains. It might’ve been a national park or reserve. It was REALLY REALLY green. Like ridiculously green. It looked like something from Lord of the Rings. I’ve never seen any place like it before.
      Any ideas?

more
    • Bardarbunga Volcano

Iceland Aug 28, 2014 at 6:52 AM

What's the current situation with the tourist attractions due to volcano, Bardarbunga, possibly erupting? Are MOST tourist sites closed, are ALL closed or ONLY the area where Bardarbunga volcano is? We travel out next week on Sept 2nd to Reykjavic, Iceland (we are planning to do lots of hikes, caves, hot springs and volcano excursions). i'm considering on cancelling this trip because of the possible eruption.

more