Travel Answers
Haarlem

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Looking for info on bright red tube lighting in windows of Amsterdam Red Light District

Amsterdam Yesterday

I am trying to find similar lights to the ones used in the Amsterdam Red Light District. All I can find here in the States are red fluorescent light covers, which end up dimming the light, or already dim low watt red fluorescents. I would appreciate any info of specs/brand/watt/links of the bright red tube lighting used in the windows of the Red Light.
      Thank you.

more
    • Mobypark.com

Schiphol Jul 9, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Heeft iemand ervaring met langparkeren via Mobypark.com op schiphol? In Amsterdam werkt het prima, maar heb het nog nooit voor de lange termijn gebruikt. Zie ook: http://bit.ly/1r7SO1D

more
    • Transit Visa

Schiphol Jul 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Do you need a transit visa when travelling to Canada and transiting in Amsterdam? I have a Kenyan passport.

more
    • nightclubs, festivals??

Amsterdam Jul 16, 2014 at 3:36 AM

I'm arriving monday the 21st of july with my boyfriend till the 24th which is a thursday, I'm just wondering is there much going on as in festivals or djs in nightclubs that i can book now before we arrive? i dont want to miss out on anything that is going on, i want to make the most of the three days! thank you :)

more
    • Buses to Haarlem

IJmuiden Jul 13, 2014 at 4:23 AM

What bus number and where to catch it? please

more
    • Transit via amsterdam

Schiphol Jul 11, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Nigerian citizen with US green card. Will transit in amsterdam for 9 hours. Can I leave the airport to do a city tour with no visa? If not, will book another ticket as I would hate to sit at an airport for that long

more
    • v3tt3lWC's Profile Photo

Good college Bars

Amsterdam Jun 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Where are some great bars to visit at night for students?

more
    • silence label

Amsterdam 19 hours ago

Are there any hotels carrying a silent room label in Amsterdam?

more
    • Staying in Amsterdam. What is the best place and cheapest way?

Amsterdam Jul 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Hi! What is the best (also cheapest) way to crash in Amsterdam from 10 aug to 14 aug for 9 students.

more
    • Coach service between Ijmuiden and central Amsterdam

IJmuiden Jul 11, 2014 at 4:52 AM

Is there a public service that we can use to get from the cruise port in Ijmuiden to central Amsterdam and back between say 8:30 am and 5 pm? Would this be enough time to visit Rijksmuseum and take a 1-hour canal cruise?

more
    • Traveling_Duck's Profile Photo

Which neighborhood is the best?

Amsterdam Jul 4, 2014 at 6:40 AM

We will be visiting Amsterdam for the first week in August, and we would like to rent an apartment. So far, I was able to find nice and convenient properties in Jordaan (Egelantierstraat), in Waterlooplein, in the Old City (Nieuwe Spiegelstraat) and in the Jewish Quarter (Valkenburgerstraat). Which area would be the best to stay in? My husband and me are interested in architecture, art and culture, but we are also foodies. Any suggestions are most welcome! Thank you in advance!

more
    • Is there someplace to rent bicycles in Muiden?

Muiden Jun 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Hi! I am hoping to rent two bicycles in Muiden to use for traveling around the Netherlands for two weeks. I would return the bicycles back to Muiden. I am hoping to find bikes that are inexpensive to rent and that have bags on the sides for carrying our gear. Does anyone know of a place that rents bicycles like this?
      Thanks!
      -Steve

more
    • Cat traveling as carry on

Schiphol Jun 23, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I will be traveling from Israel to Detriot, Michigan with my cat on a Delta flight . I want to travel with him as a carry on. Will there be any problems at the airport? I am not leaving the airport .

more
    • acloud's Profile Photo

Honeymoon in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Jul 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM

As a gift for my son and his bride, I'm planning a trip to Barcelona and Amsterdam the 2nd week in October. Dates are moderately flexible (can't be before the 6th, but after that it's not important), as is the order in which we do things. The basic desire is the spend some time in Barcelona, do an overnight train to Amsterdam, and spend a few days there. we have 7-9 days with which to work. We can start in either city, but more days in Barcelona than Amsterdam. I'm thinking of renting an apt in Amsterdam and a hotel in Spain. I would like for the hotel to be a little more high end, but it doesn't have to be the most luxurious there. Any suggestions on neighborhoods? What about the overnight train? Is that a good idea? I know flying is cheaper, but I think they would enjoy the experience and I'd have to pay for a night's lodging anyway, so it would be about the same. They are not "touristy" travelers. They want local food and feel, museums and to walk the city. Maybe one day on the beach (is that even doable in Oct?).

more
    • v3tt3lWC's Profile Photo

Amsterdam in 2 days

Amsterdam Jul 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM

What is some must see sights/places while in Amsterdam for 2 days?

more
    • azadreddy's Profile Photo

Best 3 museams in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Jul 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I am travelling to Amsterdam in this weekend. I need to know 3 best museums in Amsterdam so I can cover in a day.
      1st day I am planning to visit a canal boat tour, central station, dam square, mint tower , Rembrandt plein, leidseplein my question is can I visit all these places in 1 day??????????????????
      If I can pls tell me the plan and sequence.......
      thanks in advance

more
    • Long Stay secure car parking in Haarlem?

by NikkiJones Online Now Mar 10, 2014 at 4:32 AM

We are coming to Zandvoort for a motorsport event at the end of August, and are planning on extending our stay for a few extra days in Haarlem.
      We will have two cars and two trailers (about the same size as cars) with us, and would like to find a secure long stay car park to put them in.
      Is there such a thing in Haarlem? Or Zandvoort?
      Any advice you can give will be gratefully received.
      Many thanks, Nikki Jones, Warwickshire, UK

1 Answer Mar 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    • car park at Haarlem train station?

by fwbrit2013 Online Now May 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

We are going to be staying in Zaandvoort and would like to know if it Is possible to park at Haarlem station and catch the train to Amsterdam because we understand that it is difficult to park in Amsterdam.

6 Answers May 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    • Queensday

by dsw Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I will be in Haarlem April 28 thru May 1. Will museums be open on Tuesday, April 30, or would that be a good day to go to the Kukenhof gardens.
      I will be relying on public transportation. Also was thinking of a day trip to Delft on Monday. Any other thoughts.

6 Answers Mar 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    • Fitness Centre with Day Pass entry

by Buzzcock Online Now May 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Hello

I am staying at the Amadeus Hotel in a few weeks time, having stayed there before 10 years ago. Whilst I'm in Haarlem I'd like to find a gym / fitness centre which it is possible to use on a daily basis, without having to take out membership. I'd be grateful if anyone local to Haarlem has any information.

Thanks

3 Answers May 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    • AMSTERSAM's Profile Photo

Van der Valk

by AMSTERSAM Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM

How trapped is one at the Van der Valk? A 4 star at a fabulous price with breakfast, so there has to be something I should know. Thanks.

9 Answers Sep 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    • Looking for a group in Haarlem

by laiaveronica Online Now Apr 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM

We are 2 spanish girls in our thirties living in Haarlem and we are looking for a group of people to practise English, Dutch and Spanish.
      If you are interested, we can arrange an appointment by e-mail.
      Come on and join us. Let's become a nice and outgoing group!

3 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    • JohnBerry's Profile Photo

Good Bicycle Shops near Haarlem

by JohnBerry Online Now Jul 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I am arriving at Schiphol on Wednesday morning next week (July 15th), and will be touring the Netherlands on a folding bike. I am traveling as light as possible, and so will need to buy lights, a handlebar bag, a bike computer (speedometer), etc. as soon as possible after leaving Schiphol. Also I will need final adjustments to a Sturmey-Archer 8-speed. I will also need maps of Dutch cycling routes, and advice about hostels, B&Bs, campgrounds and ferry timetables.

My route will be from Schiphol through or close to Haarlem and then up to den Helder and through the islands.

Does anyone know where there is a good bike shop as well as a good source of all the other tourist info? I have Google Maps so can plot the address on my map. My Dutch is non-existent, but I speak German, French and some Swedish.

Many thanks

John Berry

10 Answers Jul 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    • garlandsofgrace's Profile Photo

Haarlem and Zaanse Schans ; Haarlem and Schiphol Airport/ transportation

by garlandsofgrace Online Now Jan 10, 2009 at 4:33 PM

1)Is there public transportation from Haarlem to Zaanse Schans?
      2) Is there public transportation from Haarlem to Schiphol Airport without going to Amsterdam?
      Thank you for any help...

4 Answers Jan 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    • A place to jam as a musician

by thomas.krag Online Now May 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Hey guys.

I'm a danish guy who recently moved to the Haarlem/Amsterdam area and I was wondering about a thing. Where (if there is a possibility) can you jam? Best would be in the jazz or "pop/soul/funk/commonpartymusic"-genre.

Anyone? :)

Best wishes,
      Thomas.

3 Answers May 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM
    • Haarlem or Leiden, cont.

by arleneschander Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Thank you, Pieter Jan!

Do you have any recommendations for a moderate hotel, or better yet a B&B in Leiden that would sleep three people? I'm sure that we need to get our reservations soon, if we're not already too late! We're going to be there in mid-April.

1 Answer Mar 1, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    • Best place to stay near Keukenhof Gardens?

by arleneschander Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 1:40 AM

We have only two days in Holland in April and want to see Haarlem and Keukenhof Gardens. We are wondering if we should stay in Leiden or Haarlem? (Are there no hotels in Lisse?) It sounds like Leiden is more convenient to the gardens, but we also want to see Haarlem.

4 Answers Mar 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM
    • St. Bavo organ concerts

by arleneschander Online Now Feb 27, 2008 at 1:59 AM

We are going to be in Haarlem in mid-April and wonder when the St. Bavo organ concerts are scheduled? We heard Tuesday and Thursday, but is this correct? Also, what time of day are the concerts? Is there a charge?

6 Answers Feb 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM
    • Flower Display April 22?

by travelbuggoes Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 10:17 AM

Where in Haarlem is the flower display? Thanks.

1 Answer Feb 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    • Transport from Schipol to Haarlem

by Ginny87 Online Now Feb 3, 2007 at 8:25 AM

My husband and I will be staying in a hotel on Grote Square in Haarlem in May. I gather from other postings that the bus is the more convenient mode of transport from the airport, rather than the train. We will need transport at 7 p.m. to Haarlem and at 8 a.m. when we leave Haarlem for the airport. How far is it from the drop off point in Haarlem to Grote Square. We stayed at the Amadeus nine years ago. Is there another hotel on the square which anyone would recommend?

Thanks.

3 Answers Feb 4, 2007 at 1:43 AM
    • ericchaney's Profile Photo

Any apartment rentals in the area?

by ericchaney Online Now Jan 21, 2007 at 6:36 PM

I am planning on going to Amsterdam/ Haarlem this coming July and August. We will be there for about 3 weeks. Are there any rental agencies for vacation houses or apartments/ Even if there are rental barges, or boats that would be great. There are 3 of us going to watch my son play baseball in the friendship games. Thanks

3 Answers Feb 4, 2007 at 2:02 AM
    • Transport

by Mr-Jenkins Online Now Jan 10, 2007 at 5:34 AM

Hello

I'm travelling to Haarlem for the 1st time tomorrow and was wondering the best way to get there from Schiphol Airport. Are there direct trains or should we opt for the bus?

Also, would anyone happen to know if Hotel Haarlem Zuid is central and easy to get to from the train station?

Many thanks!

2 Answers Jan 10, 2007 at 3:49 PM
    • Shnukums's Profile Photo

New Year in Haarlem - Fish restaurants or Dutch cuisine suggestions, please!

by Shnukums Online Now Dec 12, 2006 at 7:02 AM

Hello there! Will be spending a week in Haarlem during the New Year period - from end of Dec to Jan. 4th. It will be three of us and we are looking for a nice and sophisticated restaurant where to spend the evening of Dec. 31st. We would prefer something traditionally Dutch and if possible a fish restaurant too. We are obsessed with the fish part because we are near the sea and we thought there might be some very nice fish places in the area.

I have read some good and bad things about de PĂȘcherie Haarlem aan Zee. I don't know what other people think about it.

Please can you suggest any places? If you are from Haarlem, where are you celebrating New Year?

Please help if you can. Any restaurant websites would be helpful. I have some very basic knowledge of Dutch and will try to decipher the menus on the websites.

Dank u wel!

Sasha

3 Answers Dec 13, 2006 at 4:26 AM
    • herrenssanning's Profile Photo

looking for friends to show around

by herrenssanning Online Now Oct 17, 2006 at 10:39 PM

Hai..I am Indonesian girl and I will be in Haarlem ( Netherlands ) for a year. I am looking for some peoples to make friends and to show me the country. Please email me. Thanks!

3 Answers Oct 23, 2006 at 8:35 AM
    • EasyTraveling's Profile Photo

Furniture store in Haarlem

by EasyTraveling Online Now Aug 27, 2006 at 12:25 PM

Hope someone can help us locate a furniture store on one of the main streets of Haarlem. It was on a main street, adjacent to a canal and carried a variety of furniture. Our interest is in the dining room hutches, with glass in the upper doors. Altho it did have a website, we can't locate the store using search engines on line and have misplaced its business card. Anyone living in or familiar with Haarlem enough to help? Thanks!

3 Answers Aug 27, 2006 at 8:16 PM
    • vegetarian food?

by TonyFriel Online Now Jun 22, 2006 at 10:59 AM

Any info please on vegetarian food in Haarlem?

4 Answers Jun 25, 2006 at 6:32 AM
    • irisbe's Profile Photo

Haarlem invasion

by irisbe Online Now Apr 18, 2006 at 10:23 PM

OK! am invating Haarlem on Sunday 23rd of April, yes in a few days so you are warned -`)
      I won't be coming alone. I have a group of approx 116 people.
      About 75 of them or foreign students on low budget `-)
      We offer them a free drink and if the weather is ok, I know a place where we can sit outside (at the little market) at a local pub where they can consume their picknick if they take a drink.
      Not all of them will have brought lunch and might want to search for an affordable place to eat something. I was thinking at Hema? Does any one knows if it is opened as well? It is koopjesmarkt, so regular shops will be opened. I am not so sure about the Hema however?

9 Answers Apr 21, 2006 at 1:34 PM
    • eshborntravelers's Profile Photo

11:35 EST GEORGIA USA 8JAN2006 DSC74 sports club

by eshborntravelers Online Now Jan 8, 2006 at 8:42 AM

hi My name is Mike Arthur, I played in a softball tournment for 12 years in Haarlem called the BILL E JEFFERIES TOURNMENT. it was played at DSC74. been trying to get in contact with some people connected to the club but having no luck, can anyone help me find an e-mail address for the club, or someone connected to the club. planing a vist back to haarlem in the future, would like to locate some of these people when i return, Could you give me some Information on this please. I will forever be in your debt. thanks MIKE ARTHUR ( mikewat2004@aol.com)

1 Answer Jan 8, 2006 at 9:39 AM
    • JaynMA's Profile Photo

Haarlem for six weeks in January/February....tips :-)

by JaynMA Online Now Dec 19, 2005 at 3:39 PM

Hello all,

There's a good chance i'm going to be in Haarlem for this long in a few weeks on business.

Some questions:

1) What are some great weekend trips I could take? (ie leaving Friday afternoon, returning Sunday night) I know i'll hit up A'dam, but am more interested in the cultural nooks and crannies of the country and surrounding countries within a reasonable distance.

2) What are the biggest venues for music/theatre in Haarlem/Amsterdam? We have ticketmaster here in the US as a major source of show info and ticket purchasing. Is there a similar service or two that have dotcoms I could checkout prior to leaving for Haarlem?

3) Pretty much the same question as the above, only referring to soccer. They go on winter break soon right? But will be back while i'm still there i think. Are tickets easy to come by or all sound out on this short of notice in mid-season? If i can catch a match, could i buy tix before leaving the states or do i have to buy them locally once i arrive?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Happy Holidays!

Jay in MA (USA)

1 Answer Dec 20, 2005 at 12:32 AM
    • diamond_skies's Profile Photo

Flower Fest weekend

by diamond_skies Online Now Oct 17, 2005 at 2:57 AM

Can anyone tell me what weekend the Flower Festival is on in April in Haarlem next year?

Many thanks

Jane

1 Answer Oct 19, 2005 at 2:58 AM
    • Bike Hire and where to go

by Zako Online Now Apr 11, 2005 at 1:49 AM

Greetings from Ireland.
      We will be staying in Haarlem from the 13th May till the 16th and on the Sunday we would like to hire bikes and visit the countryside,weather permitting. First where to hire and second where to go. We are staying at the Hempcity B&B.

5 Answers Jul 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM
    • Getting from Haarlem to Keukenhof

by Chicagogirl1 Online Now Mar 18, 2005 at 5:13 AM

Is there transportation from Haarlem to Keukenhof gardens?

Thanks!

2 Answers Mar 19, 2005 at 12:30 AM
    • PhillyJohn's Profile Photo

Good place to eat breakfast

by PhillyJohn Online Now Feb 6, 2005 at 1:10 PM

We will be in Haarlem for a few hours on a weekday morning (eearly) before going in to A'dam for the rest of the day. Is there a pleasant place to have breakfast near the great Church on the markt? We want to see as much of the area as possible so we wish to eat in the old market area. Also, is it far from the train to the Grote Markt? thanks

7 Answers Feb 8, 2005 at 2:56 PM
    • shoe repairer - what is the name?????????????

by shannaanderson Online Now Nov 4, 2004 at 4:23 AM

I used to live in Haarlem and now want to set up a business of my own here in England. I am trying to remember the name of a shoe repairer. I think it was on the Grote Houtstraat. I am interested in buying a machine like they had, that put plastic covers on ladies shoe heels before they wore them. This protected the heels from the cobbled pavements in Haarlem. If you can help me with the name and phone number of that shop or any shoe repairer in Haarlem that has such a machine. Maybe AB DONKERS shoe shop in Haarlem will know of where to find a machine like this. Thank you so much, Anna Anderson

1 Answer Nov 4, 2004 at 9:14 AM
    • Haarlem Public Transportation

by boblandess Online Now Dec 8, 2003 at 4:29 AM

Is there a website that shows the tram and bus routes for for Haarlem? Thanks, Bob

7 Answers Dec 8, 2003 at 7:11 PM
    • new year's eve

by boblandess Online Now Oct 19, 2003 at 5:45 PM

Does anyone know what time the last train / tram / bus from Amsterdam to Haarlem leaves on New Years eve? Thanks!!

2 Answers Nov 27, 2003 at 7:12 AM