Haarlem Travel Answers

change location

Transport from Schipol to Haarlem

by Ginny87 Online Now Feb 3, 2007 at 8:25 AM

My husband and I will be staying in a hotel on Grote Square in Haarlem in May. I gather from other postings that the bus is the more convenient mode of transport from the airport, rather than the train. We will need transport at 7 p.m. to Haarlem and at 8 a.m. when we leave Haarlem for the airport. How far is it from the drop off point in Haarlem to Grote Square. We stayed at the Amadeus nine years ago. Is there another hotel on the square which anyone would recommend?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

RE: Transport from Schipol to Haarlem

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 3, 2007 at 10:01 AM

In from of the Schiphol Plaza (and Train ticket office) is the bus station.

At 7.09PM you can take Connexxion bus 300 direction Haarlem. Is a dirct connection with a busstop at Verwulft. From there the Grote Markt is 4 minutes walking (just head for the church). Travel time about 45 minutes.

6 busses per hour, so you never wait more than 10 minutes!

the costs are 7 zones on a Strippenkaart. Buy a 15 zone Strippenkaart at the Schiphol Train ticket office for Euro 6.80 and you'll be fine.

Return journey:
    the 300 bus departs at 8.05 from the Verwulft busstop (and thereafter at a 10 minute interval again).

There's another hotel at the market; see:
    http://www.hotelcarillon.com/

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

RE: Transport from Schipol to Haarlem

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 4, 2007 at 1:36 AM

BTW, here are 2 pictures of the Verwulft bus stops; it's in the middle of a major street called "Gedempte Oude Gracht".

http://p.vtourist.com/697545.jpg

http://p.vtourist.com/880129.jpg

PJ

• Dukaat's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Transport from Schipol to Haarlem

by Dukaat Online Now Feb 4, 2007 at 1:43 AM

The only hotel right on the Grote Markt is the Amadeus. The Carillon is slightly off the Markt, across the street. I read that the Carillon has been or is being redone. The rooms are above its cafe but this is a relatively quiet cafe. There is also Hotel Joops just on the south side of the Grote Kerk, which is on the Grote Markt. Hotel Raekse is in the same league but is about a 5 minute walk west of the Grote Markt at the corner of Raaks and Zijlvest. I have stayed at the Raekse and the Carillon and have looked in on the Amadeus and Joops. They are all about the same, one star in my opinion but clean and OK. Some people have an issue with the Amadeus' front rooms overlooking what can be a noisy square on weekends.

There are also some B&Bs in Haarlem. The B&B Paula is owned by a friend of mine. It is about 2 miles west of the Grote Markt but Paula has bicycles for loan. It's an easy ride to town and to Zandvoort. Weather can get you down but May is one of the driest months in Holland.

I use Connexxion bus 300. It goes from Schiphol Plaza as Pieter says every 10 minutes. It goes directly to the Haarlem train station. The bus sits there for a while before going to Verwulft so I would get off at the station. As you get off the VVV tourist office Haarlem is about 50 yards to your left. Then you have about 600 yards to walk south to the Grote Markt. Alternatively, the taxi rank is right in front of the bus stop. It would cost about 7 or 8 euros to the Grote Markt.

Returning to Schiphol the Connexxion bus 300 Verwulft stop on Gedempte Oude Gracht in front of the V+D department store would be more convenient. This is much closer to the Grote Markt and you have the pedestrian only Grote Hout Straat to get you there.

If you can change your arrangements I recommend being in Amsterdam for the annual Queen's Day event on April 30. It's the greatest city-wide street party you can imagine.

See my Haarlem page for a photo of the Grote Kerk and the windmill which has been reconstructed.

Eating tip: a great burger at the Cafe Brinkman, outdoor patio on the Grote Markt. Eat in on rainy days. Slow service.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines