Haarlem Travel Answers

change location
JaynMA's Profile Photo

Haarlem for six weeks in January/February....tips :-)

by JaynMA Online Now Dec 19, 2005 at 3:39 PM

Hello all,

There's a good chance i'm going to be in Haarlem for this long in a few weeks on business.

Some questions:

1) What are some great weekend trips I could take? (ie leaving Friday afternoon, returning Sunday night) I know i'll hit up A'dam, but am more interested in the cultural nooks and crannies of the country and surrounding countries within a reasonable distance.

2) What are the biggest venues for music/theatre in Haarlem/Amsterdam? We have ticketmaster here in the US as a major source of show info and ticket purchasing. Is there a similar service or two that have dotcoms I could checkout prior to leaving for Haarlem?

3) Pretty much the same question as the above, only referring to soccer. They go on winter break soon right? But will be back while i'm still there i think. Are tickets easy to come by or all sound out on this short of notice in mid-season? If i can catch a match, could i buy tix before leaving the states or do i have to buy them locally once i arrive?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Happy Holidays!

Jay in MA (USA)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

RE: Haarlem for six weeks in January/February....tips :-)

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Dec 20, 2005 at 12:32 AM

1) Amsterdam is obvious indeed (just 20 minutes by train). There are so much more Dutch cities to visit (Alkmaar, Utrecht, The Hague, Rotterdam, Leiden, Delf, Maastricht etc..). ATLC has a great Netherlands page with loads of ideas.

There are easy train connections abroad as well, so you can consider Antwerp, Brussels, Paris, Cologne, Berlin (to name a few cities).
    London is a possibility too; you have to see if you fly or take a train (maybe ferry).
    A cheap altenative (but slower) are Eurolines busses.

If you want to have fun organize a VT-meeting.

2) For Haarlem events see: haarlem.nl/smartsite26048.ht...
    For Amsterdam (and other cities) see: http://www.aub.nl/

For some concerts tickets are sold via the post office and GWK bank offices (like ticket master).

3) A ticket for a soccer match can be bought best locally. In the major league there's a whole system around (like ticketmaster again) and most of the tickets are exclusive to the registrated club supporters. Better inform locally.

Have a great time; explore some of our Dutch pages.

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines