Haarlem Travel Answers

change location

Queensday

by dsw Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I will be in Haarlem April 28 thru May 1. Will museums be open on Tuesday, April 30, or would that be a good day to go to the Kukenhof gardens.
I will be relying on public transportation. Also was thinking of a day trip to Delft on Monday. Any other thoughts.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • DueSer's Profile Photo

Re: Queensday

by DueSer Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I can't speak to whether the museums will be open April 30th or not. It would be best to check with the museums' website and also check the Keukenhof's website as they may be closed as well if it is a national holiday.
    However, I HIGHLY recommend a day trip to Delft. I love Delft. It's a delightful city. It's easy to get to as well. The train station is just a short walk from the historic part of town. Here's a little travelogue I wrote about it on my Netherlands page:

"The Doors of Delft" - Netherlands Travelogue by DueSer

It's got some touristy aspects to it but it is such a charming city that you don't mind some of the touristy shops and restaurants. My visit to Delft was the highlight of my Netherlands vacation.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM

It cannot go unmentioned that this year's Queensday is a special one since it is the last. On April 30th 2013 a new king will be sworn in, in Amsterdam.
    That means that public transportation around Amsterdam will be horrendous. Actually, it always is on Queensday but it's to be expected more so this year.
    So, just saying that if you do take a train, do not do so direction Amsterdam!

But you're fine with Keukenhof, it's open daily: http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/
    For this day, your best route is the following:
    "From Haarlem you can get to Keukenhof using the number 50 bus service. You should alight in Lisse at the bus stop Vreewijk. From here it is a 15-minute walk to the park entrance".

An alternative is going to Leiden by train. "From Leiden Central Station the number 854 bus leaves from the bus station at Leiden Central Station (town centre side). The journey to Keukenhof takes 25 minutes. The last bus back to Leiden Central Station leaves at 19.51."

I also recommend a visit to Delft but Leiden (birthplace of Rembrandt, workplace of Boerhaave, etc.) is also very interesting and lovely.
    "Leiden, finally underway !" - Leiden by ATLC
    "For your Dutch quaintness fix :-)" - Delft by ATLC

Finally, for all your public transportation needs (bus/tram/train/metro) and schedules:
    http://9292.nl/en

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM

You will love Haarlem even if the museums are not open. We visited last August, only 40 minutes on metro train from Amsterdam Centraal.
    Plenty of history in Haarlem, it is a museum within itself, just look at the photos on my page.

We did 2 other day trips , one to the Windmills, by public transport, details on my Amsterdam page. We also visited Volendam and Marken on the one day using public transport, details on Amsterdam page.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Frans Hals Museum will be open: Queen’s Day (30 April) 11AM – 6PM

Teylers Museum will be open: Queen's Day (30 April) Noon - 5PM

Double check the museums you want to visit on Monday; some have ageneral closing day.

I suggest you visit the Keukenhof on a sunny day; keep an eye on the weather.

Not travelling to Amsterdam by train on Queen's Day is a sound advice indeed.
    Be aware that there may be local detours on Queen's Day, so a bus trip can also take more time than usual.

PJ

• bikeontheroof's Profile Photo

by bikeontheroof Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I cannot tell you if the museums are open on Queens day, you may want to check their web sites for hours.

I can tell you that getting out of Haarlem on train will be almost impossible, the trains are standing room only and it may take you a couple of hours to even get on the platform. The bus system seems to be running will little problem though.

Do not go to Amsterdam, the walk from the station to the main square will take you about two hours, normally only 10-15 minutes.

• roanjillz1's Profile Photo

by roanjillz1 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Queensday on April 30 the Frans Hals museum is open from 11.00 untill 18.00 hours. A good alternative for visiting the Keukenhof by bus or car is this.

Bicycle through the bulbfields with a private guide. www.bicycle/holland.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines