Ha Long Travel Answers

change location

Recommendation for 3d/2n or 2d/1n cruise in Halong Bay if I'm travelling alone?

by allisoneylh Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I'm travelling to Vietnam alone in the spring and would like to go on a junk boat cruise for a few days. I was wondering if it matter which junk boat trip I should take? Also is it better to book ahead of time online?

Thank you ahead of time for any recommendations!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Re: Recommendation for 3d/2n or 2d/1n cruise in Halong Bay if I'm travelling alone?

by Mellor125 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM

If you have time to travel you should take 3 days 2 nights it will not be rush. All the most of cruises in Halong all look same. If you would like to visit real Halong bay without clowded places you can travel with Red Dragon Cruises or Dragon Pearls they cruises their own routes with nice kayaking in remote area, good boat and excellent services. I booked this cruises with Thu from website myvietnamtravel.net she gave me very good deals. also, last december my friend book Halong bay and she joined with classic cruise name Royal heritage cruise with 190$ for 3 days 2 night. One point to travel, if you are young age 20 -30s you can travel with classic cruises all most of travellers are young and same as this age, it is not important but it makes your trip more funs.
    You can either book ahead or find an agent around hotel and book with them. normally, I will book services before I travel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • royalempress's Profile Photo

Re: Recommendation for 3d/2n or 2d/1n cruise in Halong Bay if I'm travelling alone?

by royalempress Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I would also check all the reviews there are a great many. There are many differences in each cruise, crew, food, destinations, costs.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Re: Recommendation for 3d/2n or 2d/1n cruise in Halong Bay if I'm travelling alone?

by cal6060 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I have visited Halong Bay with Vega travel. I know this travel agency thru lonely planet. I have used them for both Halong Bay & Sapa. I think it is value for money. In fact, I had shopped around many places in french quarter or near the lake, found this agency's itenary suited what I like and the price is reasonable.

vegatravel.vn/?f=North&o...">vegatravel.vn/?f=North&o...
    "UNESCO World Heritage Site: Ha Long Bay" - Ha Long Bay Tip by cal6060
    "Cat Ba Island" - Hanoi Things to Do Tip by cal6060

I don't recommend you to book anything in advance. Once you arrive Hanoi, you can shop for few travel agencies on your list near the Hoan Kiem Lake, and make comparison. You will find something that suit your budget and itenary. They will allow you to get on board the next day morning. Don't forget to bargain!

Enjoy Halong Bay! If you have time, visit Sapa!

• andie_c's Profile Photo

by andie_c Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I agree. I think its pointless to book in advance unless you're strapped for time.. Go for a walk around the lake area, check out as many agents as you can, they are literally everywhere you turn. Compare the prices get go the cheapest you can find as most of the junk boat tours are all the same. I had an experience where I met a couple on my junk boat that paid $160 Usd for a 2 night tour, I went to about 7 -10 agents in Hanoi and got the exact same tour VIP for $30 Usd.
    have fun and take a Pillow for your bum for the bus ride to Halong City..

• Re: Recommendation for 3d/2n or 2d/1n cruise in Halong Bay if I'm travelling alone?

by Mog11y Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I went with Paloma and had a great time. The boat is smaller than a lot of others and not as hectic... actually had the boat on the second day to ourselves ... lovely food & people. I booked via the internet site and got exactly what I wanted -family room gives you a big balcony at the front - but it depends on how much you want to spend. It might be cheaper to book from Hanoi. I use Hai Yen travel who are near St Joseph's cathedral - would have booked the cruise with her if I had known her before I left Sydney. Hai Yen will get you the best deal she can. Highly recommended.

by xichlo66 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

by Mog11y Online Now Apr 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I used Paloma last year and had a great time. The boat is smaller than others and so you get better attention and they are more flexible if there is a need to change the itinerary. If you can afford the extra cost try to upgrade to a family room - it has its own balcony with lounge and is away from the engine room....the rooms are still small as it is on a boat - it has 2 double beds but it is huge compared to the standard room.Regards, Wendy

by Aveline Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You can book 01 single cabin on boat. 3days 2nights is fine. There are many cruises in Halong bay. You should choose the cruise that go to Bai Tu Long Bay - it is not crowed as Halong Bay.

by Peter-Benz Online Now Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hi there.

There are many junks and cruises in Halong bay.
    The quality depend on your budget,

The weather is cold in Spring and not good for swimming.
    2 Days 1 Night is oke.

Cheers

by Peter-Benz Online Now Jun 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Hi,
    There are many junks and cruises in Halong bay.
    You should search and book with some travel office in Vietnam.
    The standard of junks depend on your budget,
    Cheers

• ulm168's Profile Photo

by ulm168 Online Now Jul 25, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Its summer time now in Vn, so staying on the junk is not gonna be fun because they charge extra for drinks on board and if u bring your own drink, there is corkage. So, its best you don't book in advance but shop for a good deal from the so many travel agents in Hanoi. Ask for a hotel in Catba and spend more time there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines