Gwent Travel Answers

change location
SandiM's Profile Photo

Around Chepstow and Tintern Abbey

by SandiM Online Now Jan 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Ma and I will be in this area for 2 nights in April. We plan to view Chepstow Castle and Tintern Abbey, before heading back to London. We are using trains/buses. The goal is to photograph the scenery in this area, old castles, baths, medieval architecture, etc etc (the stuff of romance!). If I had only 1 more spot to visit in this area, what should we see? Has to be in the Chepstow-Tintern area. I was thinking maybe Raglan Castle? But don't know how to get there by public transit. Anything else? We only have the 2 nights, 1 complete day.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Around Chepstow and Tintern Abbey

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Hi Ive been around these parts only with rental cars but I did love Raglan castle!...as my grandmother retired to Raglan in NZ so we were there quite often.

southwalesattractions.co.uk/... - is the link i just found that also includes info for getting there by public transport...from Newport, MOnmouth and Abergavenny - i loved the old bridge at Monmouth! this site for south wales looks a very informative site that will hopefully be of good help giving other ideas as well

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I live in the area (5 minutes away from Raglan castle).
    I think with only one full day you would be doing well to cover these places by public transport mainly using buses as train services at Newport and Abergavenny would be of little use.
    Bus services serving Raglan tend to shop in the village near the Beaufort Hotel. From there the walk out of the village to the castle involves crossing a busy dual carriageway.
    You would really need to returnt a transport hub like Newport to connect with your chosen destinations.

newportbus.co.uk/sites/defau...

monmouthshire.gov.uk/index.p...

Other attractions in the area are Abergavenny - St. Mary's Priory Church and Tithe Barn (Norman/medieval; collection of monuments in the church) plus the remains of a Norman castle
    Caerleon Roman Baths - amphitheatre,Museum.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM

25 - 30 miles away from Tintern is Goodrich castle.

However, the transport links are likely to still be a problem for you.

english-heritage.org.uk/days...

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

Goodrich castle

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Apologies
    Distance from Tintern is about 16 - 20 miles - my mistake.

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Yes Goodrich is an excellent Castle but almost impossible to reach using public transport during a one-day trip with other planned visits.
    In fact the area is rich in photogenic scenery and historic sites but best done on a serious hike, bicycle or by car.
    When we received our bus passes we took the bus from Abergavenny to Cardiff a journey that normally takes 40 minutes bt car. The bus journey was scenic, involved one change and gave us a glimpse of many unfamiliar localities as it Stopped in almost every village en route. It took twice as long as by car so we returned home by train in 40 minutes!
    Depending where you plan to make your base you could consider a coach tour. Last year we hosted a young VTer from Germany for an overnight stay and fitted in a lot during her on eand a half days here.
    She had her base in Cardiff and had taken a number of coach tours from there and so got to places that would have been difficult if not impossible in the available time.

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 3:26 AM

For more transport suggestions see -
    www.traveline.info
    and for guide tours -
    www.seewales.com

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Sandi - apols for all the typos in my replies - hope they don't sound like gibberish! My excuse today is we are snowed in and it is still freezing hard:)

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I've been to both on public transport, but this was some time ago, so I cannot tell you anything about the buses now. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Tintern Abbey. Chepstow is a great castle, but Tintern Abbey was something special for me.
    Just to be on the safe side I'd advise you to have the telephone number of a taxi company on a card.Then, if you happen to miss the last bus, you won't be stranded. When I was there I noticed some of the buses left a minute or two before schedule, making people wait a long time for the next one.

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Re Christine's reply - local bus services run by Local Authorities have suffered cutbacks - Green v. Lean creates a see-saw in planning these vital services during more austere times.
    Essential to check timetables and schedules with local providers when planning.

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Thank you for all your answers! As it turns out, the suggestion to grab a tour from Cardiff works out really well for us. Instead of Chepstow, we'll stay in CArdiff and take one of the tours of the Wye Valley from there, for 45pounds each. This is great for 2 older ladies who can't prance about like they used to. Unfortunately, www.seewalestours.com did not offer a tour on Tuesday but I think I found another one that does. HOpefully, they are as good as the other. Thank you again!

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I think that is an excellent idea - I remember that you have mentioned in a previous post that your mother's mobility is not always too good so waiting about for buses and finding and walking to the right location could be quite taxing.
    You would capture some great snow scenes if you were here now - and had wellies or high boots!

• SandiM's Profile Photo

by SandiM Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM

oh, I'm getting my share of snow here in the Great White North of Canada. P.L.E.N.T.Y. And at minus 26, I'll just wait for a nice soggy day in Wales, thanks ;P. Rain, I can handle. I've contacted WhereWhenWales tours since they have Tuesday tours and am waiting to see if I can book the tour.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Gwent Travel Answer Locations