Gwangju Travel Answers

change location

gwangju -weekend

by IndianVoyager Online Now Dec 20, 2003 at 8:03 AM

'm a staying in Suwon for a while. Plan to visit Gwangju over a weekend..Can any of you suggest places worth visiting in and around Gwangju..I have heard a lot of the place as the cultural cap of SK... TIA.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: gwangju -weekend

by Hooglyboo Online Now Jan 27, 2004 at 9:53 AM

it would really depend on which Gwangju you're going to visit . . .I'm assuming you mean the one in Jolla-do, but there's also one in Gyeonggi-do. Interesting, I've never heard either of them refered to as a big "cultural" spot . . . If it's the Gwangju in Gyeonggi, then perhaps a visit to the House of Sharing would be illuminating. It's a place where many former "Comfort Women" reside and tell their stories. (Background: During World War II the Japanese "recruited" women from Korea and other parts of Asia to serve as sex slaves.) This is an issue very close to the hearts of Koreans, and while not exactly a "happy" thing to do, it's very affecting. The Jolla-do Gwangju is one of the biggest cities in Korea, and was the heart of the pro-democracy movement in Korea. There's a large "festival" every May 18th in memory of a government crackdown that killed several hundred (the exact number is hotly disputed) demonstrators. Try also to visit the Minju Cemetery on the edge of town.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gwangju