Gwangju Travel Answers

change location
Dannyfe's Profile Photo

What can I expect when I arrive in Gwangju, South Korea? (I know it's a big question!!)

by Dannyfe Online Now Aug 8, 2003 at 10:57 AM

I don't have a picture at the moment but I suppose I was wondering, generally, am I likely to bump into other Westerners; I wouldn't be too concerned normally but I just wanted to know in case I need the advice of some who are already out there??

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • LAOWAI's Profile Photo

Re: What can I expect when I arrive in Gwangju, South Korea? (I know it's a big question!!)

by LAOWAI Online Now Aug 9, 2003 at 7:25 AM

Read the section on Korea in BLOWBACK by Chambers Johnson and you will get an idea. The 80s were not good times for Kwangju- in 1980 at least 3,000 civilians were massacred by the Korean military with America's full support. It has been suggested that America ordered it because America controlled/ s the Korean military apparently...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Christianzagar's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What can I expect when I arrive in Gwangju, South Korea? (I know it's a big question!!)

by Christianzagar Online Now Aug 12, 2003 at 3:06 AM

I've only visited Gwangju once, but it seemed like a nice place.... has a lot of interesting things to see (concerning the May 18th masacre) There is a pretty decent downtown area, and a few foriegners here and there. The Korean people I met there were friendly... I visited on the May 18th anniversary, and it was one of my highlights of Korea (so far) I'm pretty sure some people on vt live in Gwangju, you'll probably get more information if you contact them personally...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Gwangju