Guyana Travel Answers

change location

Options for US citizens crossing the brazilian border Venezuela - Guyana

by beldorph Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I need to go Santa Elena, Venezuela to Latham, Guyana. I am a US Citizen with a Chilean ID for foreigners. I am hoping to cross the border with the chilean ID: If it doesn´t work, or they ask for my passport, are there any other options for me at the border? Can one bribe the guards for a 2 day permit to cross to Guyana or get a permit to cross somehow?

I read that Brazilian Law Nr 6.8.15 Article 8 states that no transit visa is required if the person is on a continuous trip interupted only for mandatory stops. Is this border recognized, and are there travel companies booking passage for this to make this a more believeable arguement?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

Re: Options for US citizens crossing the brazilian border Venezuela - Guyana

by qaminari Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I would strongly advise you to contact the nearest Brazilian and Guyanan embassies. Chilean ID for foreigners is not relevant since you can only cross borders on a document issued by the country (or one of the countries) of which you are a citizen, i.e. U.S. passport: you need to respect the rules that apply to U.S., not Chilean citizens.
    Unless something has changed, U.S. citizens need no visa to enter Guyana (but you must show your U.S. passport). I am far from certain that transit arrangements will apply as you describe - visa requirements tend to be reciprocal, that is, one country will apply to citizens of another similar rules to the ones applied by that one: and I am far from certain that the U.S. would allow a Brazilian to cross from Mexico to Canada "in transit" without a U.S. visa.
    Also, for someone coming from Venezuela, Brazilian rules require production of a yellow fever certificate.
    brazilhouston.org/ingles/vit...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Options for US citizens crossing the brazilian border Venezuela - Guyana

by DSwede Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM

I was just in Guyana last week and Lethem too.
    US citizens do not need Visas to enter Guyana.

The Brazilians in Lethem will let US citizens cross the boarder if they only cross for a few hours and register both on the way in and out. Overnight stays or alternative immigration point is not allowed. I would assume that Brazil's transit Visa only applies for airplane travel. Best to confirm with the embassy directly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines