Guyana Travel Answers

change location

When to go and any trip ideas

by chipernba Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

My girlfiend and I are going to Guyana around October and November. We are planning on going with a tour operator and staying in the Rewa area for a week and hitting Kaiteur Falls before we leave. Does that sound like the best plan or would you reccomend other options.

Thank you for any help,
Matt

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: When to go and any trip ideas

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:23 AM

I spent about 10 days in Guyana last October, spread around a few eco-lodges and Georgetown. We zipped over the the falls on our last day, in and out--a few hours is all you need there. I'm not sure what your tour entails but it is probably a good idea to visit more than one eco-lodge to be able to see different kinds of countryside. I was on a birdwatching trip--we went to Iwokrama Lodge, Rock View Lodge, and Atta Rainforest Lodge.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: When to go and any trip ideas

by chipernba Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hi Travelmad,

I will be in Rewa (and several places around this area) and Iwokrama and a Savannah tour; we will start in Georgetown. We plan on 12 days out altogether. I even think Rock View is on the list as well. Ours is not necceassarily a bird trip but I hope too see a lot of birds.
    Overall would you recommend going to Guyana and the trip you did?
    Also did you like going in October?

Thank you so much!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: When to go and any trip ideas

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Guyana is a neat place to go although you have to be ready for a country with very little tourism infrastructure, or infrastructure of any kind. The country is very poor, has extremely low population density, and gets very few tourists (I think the statistic I heard was that Guyana gets the same number of tourists in a year that Machu Picchu gets in a day!). It seems that most of the tourists there do a fairly standard circuit--I kept running into the same few people in Georgetown, Rock View, Kaietur, etc. Kind of funny. I think it helps a lot to go with a tour company because arranging the travel between one place and another would take a lot of time and effort if you did it yourself. It would be a lot cheaper, but you'd have to spend more time in country just organizing how to get from point A to point B.

The bird life is phenomenal and it's definitely worth doing some birding-specific hikes with a guide if you care at all about wildlife. Sadly, we did not see any jaguars although I hear they are spotted with some regularity. We did see a capybara at Iwokrama River Lodge and also caimans there.

I have some tips on my Georgetown page about the capital, but I haven't gotten around to doing the rest of them. Someday I will, but if you want to ask me any specific questions please feel free.

I also went in late October/early November and that seemed like a very good time. It is really hot in Georgetown, so definitely stay in a place with AC. There is very little AC anywhere so it's hard to cool off. In the interior it's still hot, but at night you will be fine with a fan. I was surprised at how comfortable the temperature was at night. During the day, be prepared for a lot of sweating.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines