Gulf Shores Travel Answers

change location

Shelling???

by wumholtz Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM

We are considering spending a week this summer in Gulf Shores and was wanting to know the quality of shelling in the area. We normally go to Marco Island Fl where the shelling is excellent. Any input???

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Shelling???

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM

I have not been to Gulf Shores in the summer, but I do not think there is shelling like on Marco Island. In order to find whole intact shells you need there to be very little surf.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Shelling???

by Huaschalocro Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Come to Gulf Shores for blinding white soft sand and great seafood. Shelling is poor to nonexistent.

• vhasouth's Profile Photo

Re: Shelling???

by vhasouth Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Gulf Shores is very different from Marco Island. Clean white soft sand, but very small shells, if you can find them. You can go down around Panama City and take a boat out to Shell Island. But I wouldn't recommend Gulf Shores or any of the "Gulf" areas for shelling. Sorry. Hope you have a great trip!

• Re: Shelling???

by Autumn1018 Online Now Mar 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I always find nice shells there every year. Going at the rght time like low tide is key and going to the right beaches like Perdido Pass. I have found large intact shells there on the bay side of the pass.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines