Guernsey Travel Answers

change location
McGeachyN's Profile Photo

accomadation

by McGeachyN Online Now Apr 12, 2005 at 7:46 AM

We are planning our 1st visit to Guernsey in July - 05. We plan to stay in St. Peter Port because the town sounds interesting & has close by access to Herm & Sark. We only have 4 days which, I am sure, will be too short. From the web, i have noted the Yacht Inn, which seems ideal as it is central and on the water. Wondered if any1 has any experience with this hotel or if there are others that are recommended? Rate is 43 pounds pp/night.
Also, we are pretty well rounded and enjoy hiking, museams etc. Are there any must see sights or attractions that we should not miss?
Thx in advance,
Neil & Sue - Canada

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • RE: accomodation

by devil66 Online Now Apr 15, 2005 at 2:37 AM

I would think devote at least a day for Herm & Sark. St Peter's Port is the main part of town, although the entire island is rather small, so never too far from anything. There is a walking path called the Cliff Walk which goes around the island.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • McGeachyN's Profile Photo

RE: RE: accomadation

by McGeachyN Online Now Apr 15, 2005 at 5:48 AM

Thx for your input - it helps!
    Have a good day.

• globerover's Profile Photo

by globerover Online Now Apr 29, 2005 at 7:35 AM

> From the web, i have noted the Yacht Inn,
    > which seems ideal as it is central and on
    > the water.

The Yacht Inn is not really "on the water", between the hotel and the sea there is the central bus terminal and the Esplanade, then there is a Marina for local boats where the water actually starts. Having the bus terminal next to your place and all the main shopping areas and views of St. Peter Port in walking distance, it is a good choice to stay there. The main tourist office is about 7 to 8 minutes walk along the Esplanade. They have all the details for your desires regarding hiking, etc.

I have never stayed there, but I know the place from several beers I had in their bar. If the rooms are only half as good as the bar is cosy, you chose well!

Btw, I shall have my next beer there in the week to come, the suitcase is already packed!

• McGeachyN's Profile Photo

by McGeachyN Online Now Jun 27, 2005 at 6:45 PM

Thanks for the input - that is interesting! While a time ago, I trust you enjoyed your beer! We are gearing up and while we spend time in Scotland and France, as well, I have a feeling that it is the Channel Islands that we will really enjoy.
    Thx again
    Neil

• RE: accomadation

by Ouzone Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 10:36 AM

Yes 4 days is far too short. It is good to stay in St. Peter Port, basically it is where everything is. The ferries to Sark and Herm go from there and it is well worth going to both. Take the early ferry to Sark it is around 08:00 in the morning far less crowded and take the last ferry back. It is an excellent island to hike around, (coveniently placed hotel bars for food and refreskment...),not to be missed is going right to the south end over La Coupee(?) and also visiting the mermaid pub just off the main street. Herm is also good for hiking around and there is also another mermaid pub this time incredibly popular...

Personally I would not stay in the Yacht Inn as it is in the thick of the pubs along the front as has been said, they do have a decent selection of beers though.

• Re: accomadation

by Souk1964 Online Now Apr 1, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Hi,
    I too am looking for accommodation in St Peter Port, and have also looked at the Yacht Inn. However, I have literally just seen a review of it on Trip Advisor, and will be thinking twice about staying there.
    Good luck

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines