Guayaquil Travel Answers

change location

Travel from Guayaquil to Panama City

by Traveling10 Online Now Nov 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Is there any economical way to travel from Guayaquil by land or by sea. I am looking to travel at the beggining of January and was wondering if cruise ships or boats can transport you between the two places.

THANKS!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • cochinjew's Profile Photo

Re: Travel from Guayaquil to Panama City

by cochinjew Online Now Nov 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM

By Land, it is a nearly impossible route.
    easiest is to fly copa airlines from guyaquil to panama city, but that wont be cheap.
    guyaquil is a port city and you may find yourself lucky with some boat going up to panama..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM

The land route is not the way to go. The pass into Panama from Colombia, is a seriously dangerous place to be these days, chock full of guerillas amd drug cartel crews. Better find a boat or plane ride.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Nov 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I have been on a cruise ship that stopped in Guayaquil (Holland American Statendam) and subsequently went through the Panama Canal. But they didn't stop in Panama City going that direction.

The cruise ship was held up from clearing customs for nearly 4 hours - I think because the customs guys wanted some bribes or something. And someone else on VT has written that he had the same experience on a freighter. Since Guayaquil is a very big port, you might get a ride on a freighter that was going in that direction. I think a cruise ship would not be as viable an option - they don't usually pick up hitch-hikers. I don't know about private boats.

We also went to Manta Ecuador, which is a big commercial port mostly for tuna fishing.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines