Guayaquil Travel Answers

change location

boat from panama to ecuador, winter of 2006

by ottorolwing Online Now Dec 27, 2006 at 7:29 PM

Hi, A friend and I are riding motorcycles from Arizona to Chile, Nov, 2007 - March, 2008. Would prefer a boat ride from Panama to Guayaquil or another port rather than crating the motorcycles for air cargo to Quito. Prefer to stay away from Colombia. Also, Quito is a bit cold for motorcycle riding.

Actually, any place from Costa Rico to Ecuador or Peru would work out fine.

Appreciate any advice. Otto

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: boat from panama to ecuador, winter of 2006

by dentisto Online Now Jan 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Otto, I think you can ship the bike from Panama to Guayaquil. It's probably cheaper to Cartagena. dentisto

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: boat from panama to ecuador, winter of 2006

by farcos1000 Online Now Jan 3, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Hello Otto
    A few years ago I met 3 guys from Switzerland that made a motorcylce ride from Argentina to Mexico.
    They stayed away from Colombia, as crossing the Colombian jungle might be way too dangerous. I disagree with the suggestion on shipping the bikes to Cartagena, as its a Colombian port. Better as this guys did, the ship the bikes from Guayaquil ( ecuadorian port) to Panama. But as the boat ride and all legal issues can take some time, the had to wait some days in Guayaquil, and after that flew to Panama. I dont know of any passenger boats going Guayaquil to Panama. Consider also, sending the bikes by air, its more expensive buy might save you some time.
    Finally, Quito isn´t that cold, the have 10-15 C degress, nice weather to bike, and the sightseing is wonderful. Also all the Ecuadorian coast is woth biking.
    Feel free to contact me - farcos100@hotmail.com -

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines