Guayaquil Travel Answers

change location

cerro blanco from Guyaquil port

by kdelacruz Online Now Jan 23, 2006 at 8:50 PM

Hello,

We'll be in Guayaquil in a few days with a ship, which docks at the port of Guayaquil, which I've heard is about 45 minutes' drive from Guayaquil.
I am interested in going to see some nature/wildlife for the day (we probably have about 5-6 hours free during the day).. I've heard that Cerro Blanco is very nice. Does anyone have any advice/comments? Is it best to go to Guayaquil then organize transport from there? Or is it closer to the port?
Is there a nicer destination option nearer to the port area?
I would appreciate any reccomendations. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • namastedc's Profile Photo

RE: cerro blanco from Guyaquil port

by namastedc Online Now Jan 31, 2006 at 3:17 PM

If you are going to Cerro Blanco, and taking a cab, your best bet is to go directly from the port on the Perimetral to Cerro Blanco, which is on the Via a al Costa (road to the Coast. The port is to the south, and Cerro Blanco is to the West, so you will swing up on that ring road. On the other side of the street from Cerro Blanco, just a little farther down the road towards the coast, is Puerto Hondo, where you can rent a canoe and driver to see the mangroves, for very cheap. If you have 6 hours, you could probably do both. Be very aware that the bugs in Cerro Blaco at this time of the year can be brutal, and without bug spray I wouldn't even try it. Wear thin long pants and long sleeves, and spray on that Deet. There are trails that'll take 1.5 hours, 3 hours, and 6 hours, so play it according to whether or not you'll be going to Puerto Hondo.

It shouldn't take you 45 minutes from the port to Cerro Blanco if you get a decent taxi. Make sure they are legit - orange license plate, big numbers in the window, and a certification on the dash. Alternatively, you can call one of the taxi services like Taxi Amigo or my personal favorite, Nancy Tour Travel. The taxis are unmarked cars, are much nicer, and actually cheaper!!

Good luck,
    Damon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines