Travel Answers
Guatemala City

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• I'm moving to Antigua Guatemala long term in the next couple of months , I need tips, ideas

Antigua Guatemala Yesterday

My name is Francisco, and I'll be moving to Antigua guatemala. I need tips on where is good to look for houses for rent long term as well as good pricing and security.? Also where to start looking for jobs etc. Any feed back will be appreciated . thanks

more
    • Safety/flooding in coban Guatemala

Cobán Jul 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

About to take my son to coban next week. Any concerns about safety or flooding?

more
    • Is Coban safe for tourists?

Cobán Jul 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I am traveling next week with my 11 year old son to Coban, Guatemala and i picked up two disturbing things online. So, I'm wondering if i need to rethink my trip and not go to Coban now.

Two concerns:
      1) Drug cartels from Mexico in Coban. I should have seen this earlier, but i was just checking on the weather and the safety of the roads due to the heavy rain when i saw a few articles about the fact that cartels were killing people in Coban. Is this still happening? Is this something that happens off the beaten track or should tourists worry about this, should i change my plans?

2) Flooding. I expected rain in the rainy season, but when i looked at the last ten days, it looked like there were severe rains and i saw flood warnings in other parts of Guatemala. If anyone is visiting there now, or recently, it would be great to get a sense of if this is a real problem or just the typical intermittent rain this time of year.

Thanks,

Paul

more
    • Transportation and Spanish schools?

San Pedro La Laguna Jun 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hi there!
      I'm planning on spending August studying Spanish in Guatemala, ideally at la Coopertiva (but open to suggestions). I know next to no Spanish and will be a solo female traveller, so I'm a bit concerned about getting there alone. My two questions are:

1) What's the safest way to get there from the airport for someone who can't speak Spanish (yet)?
      2) If anyone has taken classes at La Coopertiva or another Spanish school in San Pedro, would you be willing to chat one on one about your experience?

Thanks!

more
    • Has anyone ever tried getting from Guatemala to Panama by bus within a month and a bit?

by JackWilliamson Online Now May 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Any advice you can give with regards to travelling around central America by bus? Is it feasible? I have heard that they are unreliable and slow which is making me a bit apprehensive about just how far we have to go!
      Thanks in advance.

6 Answers May 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    • Resort in Guatemala

by camden8 Online Now Mar 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM

How do i buy a resort in Guatemala?

5 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    • FilipS5's Profile Photo

Is it safe in Guatemala City and in Guatemala in general?

by FilipS5 Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Is it safe in Guatemala City and in Guatemala in general?
      What are the places to avoid?

1 Answer Apr 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    • Family seeking recommendation for cultural, linguistic and ecotourism for 8, 10 year old boys

by Joseypacheco Online Now Jan 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM

My family will be visiting Guatemala for about 6 days starting 4/10 and wish for the kids to enjoy their time there while they see the amazing culture and history of the country. My sons love animals and archeology. They can be a bit mature and endure some "adult" venues. Please recommend must sees in the capital, Antigua and nearby places. Restaurants that are kid friendly too. Thanks, in advance, for making this trip memorable and educational.

6 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    • Luggage Storage at or near Guatemala City airport.

by Diverlynn Online Now Dec 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I need to leave a couple of bags at or near Guatemala City Airport while backpacking, does anyone know where I can do this so that a friend can pick them up?

Thanks, Lynn

3 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    • UmaS12's Profile Photo

Central America

by UmaS12 Online Now Nov 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

hey, I want to travel to Central America. Can ask a few questions?

1 Answer Nov 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    • WORLD WONDER

by luisgranados Online Now Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Provide me ths site for voting for the 8th.world wonder.Thanks

1 Answer Aug 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    • nuppe's Profile Photo

San Francisco church in Guatemala city

by nuppe Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I have a question concerning the Iglesia de San Francisco in Guatemala ciudad. According to Rough guide the church is famous for its carving of the Sacred Heart (of Jesus), brought from Antigua. But I cannot find this sacred heart (of that church) mentioned or pictured anywhere else on the internet. Is it there, or may Rough Guide be wrong in this case?

2 Answers Dec 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    • Mollymj's Profile Photo

Help! Housing near A El Salvador/Antigua El Salvador, Scout Campo Escuela San Jorge Muxbal

by Mollymj Online Now Oct 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hello,

I'm inquiring for my son who has an opportunity to do some scout volunteering at the Scout Campo Escueal San Jorge but we need very close housing...a shared room, a host family, a safe motel, ...ANYTHING safe (that's key). It needs to be within walking distance or via an easy bus/shuttle ride. I'm clueless as to where to turn. He has to report for training on Oct 14th and we're running out of time for him to take advantage of this opportunity:( Also, if anyone knows any nearby hostels that might work... but we would need daily transportation for 6 weeks to the camp. Any ideas on transportation? Are there local cooperative shuttles that deliver people locally. I don't think we could afford a taxi daily!

1 Answer Oct 2, 2012 at 2:13 AM
    • New trip

by allamoo Online Now Feb 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hey guys, I am planning a quick 14 day trip to Guatamala and Honduras. Unlilke many people, I enjoy meeting other backpackers and travelers. It will be two guys in their mid 20's. Can anybody give advice on great places to stay (it can be anywhere in central america if its worth the travel). Must see sights. Nightlife and which cities to find it in. Of course Im interested in beaches and ruins and unique sights that Central America has to offer. I have no idea how to travel around, to book the busses or anything. Ive traveled Europe quite a bit but never latin America. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also im traveling in July due to my work schedule. I realize its the rainy season but is it completely unbearable? or will we be the only tourists there at that time. Thanks guys!

3 Answers Feb 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    • mostaque's Profile Photo

A Hostel to Park a car in their facility

by mostaque Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Do any of you know if I can find a hostel in Guatemala City or in Antigua or even around not in a crowded place so that I can park my rental car nor finding the mirrors are gone next morning.
      Thanks

• pattonsides's Profile Photo

Long-term room rental Guatemala City

by pattonsides Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I will be staying in Guatemala City between Jan. 31st and April 18th. Does anyone have any advice for finding a long-term room to rent? Does anyone know any specific places in Zona 10 or 14?

I'm looking at Air B&B.

• ForeverWanderlust's Profile Photo

Cheap/Safe Hotels in Guatemala City

by ForeverWanderlust Online Now Jun 26, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Hey, looking for advise on cheap safe hotels in Guate City in the 10-20ish range. Preferably near zona viva. I know about the hostels, need info on hotels.

Thanks

• Urgent- bus station info city t antigua

by travellingrose Online Now Nov 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Arriving on Ticabus from Nicaragua on Sun noon- into Guatemala city. Want to go direct onto Antigua. Mixed info re. which bus station I'll arrive into and would need to leave from.

Any up to date info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
      Rose

2 Answers Nov 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    • Specific article shopping

by AnnePfarr Online Now Nov 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Where in Guatemala City could I purchase a world geographic globe? Bargain
      price would be welcomed.
      Thanks

1 Answer Nov 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    • Gym in Zona 9 or 10?

by bmarzahn Online Now Sep 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Does anyone know a gym in Zona 9 or 10? I am going to be staying there, but not at a hotel. All the info I see on gyms for that area are in hotels. Thanks, Betsy

• Tikal

by UltimateStoner Online Now Jun 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Hi,

We are taking an overnight bus to Tikal and then an overnight bus back to Guatemala City that night and on to Lake Atitlan. I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a place to secure our bags while hiking in Tikal. Is there a locker or something like that? We will have our bags with us and I don't want to hike around with a giant backpack on my shoulders. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Julie

2 Answers Aug 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    • lojoblais's Profile Photo

guatemala

by lojoblais Online Now Jun 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Can you tell me a little more about travel to Guatemala in general? Is it safe? Where is good to go? Is there any nightlife for 2 women in thei 40's

17 Answers Sep 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    • Cost of living in Guatemala City?

by nerakasil Online Now Apr 13, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi there,

I may be offered a job in Guatemala City for a year and I'd like to get a sense of how much it costs for a single person with a "middle class" lifestyle to live there (eg. rent - perhaps a shared apartment with one other person or to live alone, food expenses for cooking & restaurants, going out, public transportation, gym, etc)? Also, I would move there with my cat (anybody with experience bringing an animal?) Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Karen

2 Answers Apr 16, 2010 at 3:12 AM
    • Antigua to Rio Dulce and back

by cya-traveller Online Now Mar 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

We are in Antigua and want to travel to Rio Dulce. The shuttle out of here leaves in the am but the trip is two hours to the city and then a transfer to Linea Dorado for another 6 hours to Rio Dulce.
      We have thought about spending the night in the city and then taking the bus so we won´t have to get up at 5am in Antigua and then 6 hours on a bus to Rio Dulce. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
      Our only concern is staying in Zona 10 might take a long time to get to the bus station in Zona 4 and thus defeat the purpose of staying in the city.
      A second question is on the trip back from Rio Dulce. We were thinking of travelling through El Estar then Coban to Chichicastenango for the market. Any thoughts from anyone on this. (Coban area offers whitewater rafting. Anyone done this and thoughts?)
      Any and all info on these would be appreciated.

1 Answer Apr 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    • Travel from Guatemala City to San Cristobal

by Azbabs Online Now Dec 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Is there a way to travel from Guatemala City to San Cristobal without flying through Mexico City or without taking a chicken bus? Taking other buses or vans would be acceptable.

3 Answers Dec 31, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    • mailing letters from Guatemala City

by stevex123 Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I may be in Guatemala City on business. Assuming, I'm not in my hotel,
      are there any letterboxes in Guatemala City, where you can drop off correspondence? Also is there a Mail Boxes, Etc. in Guate City? I think there is one near Avenia Las Americas, but I'm not sure.
      Thanks,
      Steve
      snf123@earthlink.net

1 Answer Dec 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    • jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Which Zone to stay in Guatemala? Zone 10?

by jumpingnorman Online Now Oct 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I am trying to decide where to stay in Guatemala - an agent is sending me info on hotels at Zone 10...but I also saw the Hotel Grand Tikal Futura which is at Zone 11 but looks very nice...any thoughts that might "jump" into your mind will be highly appreciated, JumpingNorman :)

7 Answers Oct 17, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    • sakuyaini's Profile Photo

8 hrs layover in GUA airport

by sakuyaini Online Now Aug 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Hi,

We have an 8 hrs layover in the Guatemala city airport.

1. Does anyone know if there is (already) a place to leave our bags in the airport ? I saw some posts about this in 2007 that there is no such thing, but I'm wondering if anyone know how it is now.

2. Is the main plaza in Guatemala city close enough to the airport that we can get out of the airport during our layover and wander around ?

Thanks
      Maria

2 Answers Sep 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    • Airport Guatemala City

by patent123 Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I am try to find the name or phone number of the shop in the airport that sell the desiner sunglasses its in the departing area?

• duty free

by rbreed Online Now Mar 30, 2009 at 5:38 AM

it was suggested to purchase cuban rum and cigars at the duty free at the airport. are you allowed to bring it back to the states or will it be confiscated?

8 Answers Sep 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    • gdilieto's Profile Photo

In bus from Guatemala City to Santa Ana, El Salvador

by gdilieto Online Now Jul 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Hi VT-ers,

hope the community can help ... I am planning to travel by bus from Guatemala City to Santa Ana, El Salvador. Can some of you advice the best itinerary and bus company (faster and safer)?

I understand there are many bus services from Guatemala City to San Salvador and I assume the best itinerary is to take a connection to Santa Ana at some point on the way to San Salvador. Need to figure out which bus to take in GUA and in which city/stop to connect to Santa Ana.

Thank you!
      Giuseppe

1 Answer Jul 23, 2008 at 5:00 AM
    • Moving to Guatemala City in June

by presende Online Now May 28, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Hello,

I am going to work in Guatemala city for one year, and i would like some information about the city and country?
      What are the prices for appartments or houses for rent? Is living there expensive in issues like food and clothes?
      Is there gyms in the city?

Thanks for any information!

Pedro Resende
      pedro_resende@msn.com

5 Answers Apr 16, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    • guatemala city - tikal

by mosirism Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Any one knows how to go from guatemala city to tikal via bus. also how long is the travel time is bus. I plan on traveling there, if there are any hints to save money that I can use please let me know. Thanks

6 Answers Apr 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM
    • Adoption experience, safety issues and general advice for Guatemala City March '08 trip

by selket Online Now Feb 19, 2008 at 12:31 PM

For 3-7 days I will be in Guatemala City accompanying my dear friend who is adopting a baby girl. Needless to say all I have read are horror stories and warnings regarding safety, extortion of adopting parents and crimes against women in general. We are both very attractive and in my case a clearly not of latin decent. I am very concerned, am having doubts but am committed to assisting my friend. I will tone my look down, wearing minimal inexpensive jewelry and conservative clothing however, short of wearing a burka there isn't much more we can do. I want to enjoy this trip, shop for items to honor the babys heritage and not be freaking out while doing so. I would be most grateful for realistic advice regarding where to eat, my friend is a vegan, where to shop, what to pack and any pertinent info you think would assist us in this adotion journey. We anticipate staying at the Marriot in Guatemala City and will not be travelling outside of Guatemala City.

9 Answers May 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM