Guatemala City Travel Answers

change location
nuppe's Profile Photo

San Francisco church in Guatemala city

by nuppe Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I have a question concerning the Iglesia de San Francisco in Guatemala ciudad. According to Rough guide the church is famous for its carving of the Sacred Heart (of Jesus), brought from Antigua. But I cannot find this sacred heart (of that church) mentioned or pictured anywhere else on the internet. Is it there, or may Rough Guide be wrong in this case?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: San Francisco church in Guatemala city

by mccalpin Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Well, Hans, I am having trouble finding exactly that as well...but look at this:
    flickr.com/photos/robertourr...

I think one problem is that the carving might not be FROM Antigua (the island), but might be in a church in Antigua Guatemala ("ancient Guatemala City"), a city dating from early colonial times (and likely built on an indigenous site).

Also, the photo I refer to above is from the "Cathedral of Antigua Guatemala", but the cathedral in Antigua Guatemala is St. Joseph's, not St. Francis' (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigu....

So far, it looks like the Rough Guide is, well, pretty rough...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nuppe's Profile Photo

Re: San Francisco church in Guatemala city

by nuppe Online Now Dec 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Thank you, for heart and everything :-) Getting an answer at all, was above my expectations, and yours make sense. And certainly the conclusion... I suppose these things are supposed to be a little mysterious. Thanks a lot!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines