Guatemala City Travel Answers

change location

Cost of living in Guatemala City?

by nerakasil Online Now Apr 13, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi there,

I may be offered a job in Guatemala City for a year and I'd like to get a sense of how much it costs for a single person with a "middle class" lifestyle to live there (eg. rent - perhaps a shared apartment with one other person or to live alone, food expenses for cooking & restaurants, going out, public transportation, gym, etc)? Also, I would move there with my cat (anybody with experience bringing an animal?) Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Karen

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Cost of living in Guatemala City?

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

You likely should check some expat websites. Always good to talk to people that have already done what you are about to do. There are several of those, that you can log in and ask some questions. Check it out. Here is a start.

alloexpat.com/guatemala_expa...

expatexchange.com/expat/inde...

http://www.theguatemalagringo.com/

expat-blog.com/en/directory/...

There are more. Just Google Guatemala Expats, - and start planning.....d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Cost of living in Guatemala City?

by millimetre Online Now Apr 16, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Hi
    Your costs will mainly depends on where you plan to be living. Some safe and rich areas are located quite out of town (Carretera a El Salvador is a fashionable area for wealthy people, but is away from bars, restaurants and other night activities).... So first of all do you know where your will be (which Zona?). According to that you may be able to seek around for accomodation, and calculate how much you could spend in gym/restaurants/transportation, etc.

I used to live normally with 5500 Quetzales (quite a good income regarding Guatemalan standards), living in Zona 15; I was sharing an appartment, we payed 1.400 Quetzales each one.

Good luck!

Millimetre.
    Crazy travellers, awesome project! HAve a look: facebook.com/pages/Pampa-Jul...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines