Travel Answers
Guatemala

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• I'm moving to Antigua Guatemala long term in the next couple of months , I need tips, ideas

Antigua Guatemala Jul 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM

My name is Francisco, and I'll be moving to Antigua guatemala. I need tips on where is good to look for houses for rent long term as well as good pricing and security.? Also where to start looking for jobs etc. Any feed back will be appreciated . thanks

more
    • Safety/flooding in coban Guatemala

Cobán Jul 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

About to take my son to coban next week. Any concerns about safety or flooding?

more
    • Is Coban safe for tourists?

Cobán Jul 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I am traveling next week with my 11 year old son to Coban, Guatemala and i picked up two disturbing things online. So, I'm wondering if i need to rethink my trip and not go to Coban now.

Two concerns:
      1) Drug cartels from Mexico in Coban. I should have seen this earlier, but i was just checking on the weather and the safety of the roads due to the heavy rain when i saw a few articles about the fact that cartels were killing people in Coban. Is this still happening? Is this something that happens off the beaten track or should tourists worry about this, should i change my plans?

2) Flooding. I expected rain in the rainy season, but when i looked at the last ten days, it looked like there were severe rains and i saw flood warnings in other parts of Guatemala. If anyone is visiting there now, or recently, it would be great to get a sense of if this is a real problem or just the typical intermittent rain this time of year.

Thanks,

Paul

more
    • Transportation and Spanish schools?

San Pedro La Laguna Jun 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hi there!
      I'm planning on spending August studying Spanish in Guatemala, ideally at la Coopertiva (but open to suggestions). I know next to no Spanish and will be a solo female traveller, so I'm a bit concerned about getting there alone. My two questions are:

1) What's the safest way to get there from the airport for someone who can't speak Spanish (yet)?
      2) If anyone has taken classes at La Coopertiva or another Spanish school in San Pedro, would you be willing to chat one on one about your experience?

Thanks!

more
    • Safety/flooding in coban Guatemala

Cobán Jul 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

About to take my son to coban next week. Any concerns about safety or flooding?

• Is Coban safe for tourists?

Cobán Jul 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I am traveling next week with my 11 year old son to Coban, Guatemala and i picked up two disturbing things online. So, I'm wondering if i need to rethink my trip and not go to Coban now.

Two concerns:
      1) Drug cartels from Mexico in Coban. I should have seen this earlier, but i was just checking on the weather and the safety of the roads due to the heavy rain when i saw a few articles about the fact that cartels were killing people in Coban. Is this still happening? Is this something that happens off the beaten track or should tourists worry about this, should i change my plans?

2) Flooding. I expected rain in the rainy season, but when i looked at the last ten days, it looked like there were severe rains and i saw flood warnings in other parts of Guatemala. If anyone is visiting there now, or recently, it would be great to get a sense of if this is a real problem or just the typical intermittent rain this time of year.

Thanks,

Paul

• Transportation and Spanish schools?

San Pedro La Laguna Jun 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hi there!
      I'm planning on spending August studying Spanish in Guatemala, ideally at la Coopertiva (but open to suggestions). I know next to no Spanish and will be a solo female traveller, so I'm a bit concerned about getting there alone. My two questions are:

1) What's the safest way to get there from the airport for someone who can't speak Spanish (yet)?
      2) If anyone has taken classes at La Coopertiva or another Spanish school in San Pedro, would you be willing to chat one on one about your experience?

Thanks!

6 Answers Jun 29, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    • Sipacate Guatemala

Sipacate May 24, 2014 at 6:53 AM

How is the surf in Sipacate? How is the water color and quality - do they have dangerous wildlife or sharks etc.
      Any hotels or restaurants you can recommend.
      Is this area reachable by car?

thank you
      sid

• Banking in Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala May 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I am traveling to Antigua as part of an international business class for my MBA. I am a banker and I am trying to find a local bank that might be able to talk to me about how they handle financing amoung other things in Guatemala. I would need to find a banker that speaks English. Any ideas?

3 Answers May 23, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    • Has anyone ever tried getting from Guatemala to Panama by bus within a month and a bit?

Guatemala City May 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Any advice you can give with regards to travelling around central America by bus? Is it feasible? I have heard that they are unreliable and slow which is making me a bit apprehensive about just how far we have to go!
      Thanks in advance.

6 Answers May 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    • Visa issues, overstay

Guatemala Apr 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I will be overstaying my 90 days by a week or so, due to medical issues (broken arm) - that is something to look at but while looking online it seems that there is only a 90 day visa for the CA region, I was coming from Nicaragua where I stayed two months plus a few days transit in Honduras - does that mean I have serious overstay now? Thanks, Jean

10 Answers May 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    • mosh929's Profile Photo

Bus from Antigua to Copan Ruinas

Antigua Guatemala Apr 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Greetings everyone, does anyone have the latest info. on bus options from Antigua to Copan Ruinas..are there any overnight buses as well..please let me know, planning a trip next month!

Thank you so much!

18 Answers May 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    • Driving from Belize City to Lanquin,

Flores Apr 18, 2014 at 9:54 AM

We are driving from Belize City to Lanquin on our way back to Antigua. I am trying to see what time we would get to Lanquin. We only have one day and if we don't have time to see anything, we'll go another route and this will impact our hotel choices, too.
      Thank you.

1 Answer Apr 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

We are driving from Belize City to Lanquin on our way back to Antigua. I am trying to see what time we would get to Lanquin. We only have one day and if we don't have time to see anything, we'll go another route and this will impact our hotel choices, too.
      Thank you.

1 Answer Apr 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Thank you.

• accommodation in Guatemala

Guatemala Apr 2, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Now I am on to accommodation in Guatemala, it is our honeymoon, so we don't want to necessary stay at the shared dorms at the youth hostels, but equally we have 5 weeks and cant afford luxurious accommodation every night. Any accommodation where is worth staying? any recent gems that you discovered? we are planning to travel around Guatemala and we love nature and adventures, we love to be off the bitten track as well as in quirky artistic places, we dislike crowds and things over the top! Recommendations would be appreciated.
      We have tried websites but everything seems so expensive, especially when in euros or pounds, is it going to be cheaper to look for accommodation over there? this is something that we would usually do... but would be good to know what sort of prices we need to be prepared for. thank you

5 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    • what is the best way of travelling in guatemala

Guatemala Apr 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM

with my husband we are traveling to Guatemala for 5 weeks. can you please advice what is a good and adventurous but on a budget way of traveling across this beautiful country? we like our independence and seeing less touristy places. is renting a camper van a popular thing to do?

13 Answers Apr 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    • tourist visa

Guatemala Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Pls I need assistance in securing a tourist visq from guatemala, we do not have the embassy in nigeria, I have contacted the embassies close by, they seem to say it will be easier if it can be processed from the home country

6 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    • Resort in Guatemala

Guatemala City Mar 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM

How do i buy a resort in Guatemala?

5 Answers Mar 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    • Agencia SinFronteras

Guatemala Mar 10, 2014 at 4:20 AM

Alguien conoce la agencia Sinfronteras y puede recomendarla
      gracias

1 Answer Mar 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    • Hotels in Mazatenango

Guatemala Mar 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM

HI - I am on Atitlan and I am interested in spending a night or two in Mazatenango for the carnival. I do not have a car, I would be arriving on bus (probably chicken, I imagine.) The normal hotel sites do not list anything there. I would certainly want to reserve because this is the most important carnival in Guatemala. Also, does anything know exact details for getting there, would I get a bus at Los Encuentros, for example? Or is there another plan? (please don't say private taxi, I can't afford it). Thanks for the advice, and information - Jean

• fabric that bleeds

Guatemala Mar 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I bought a beautiful pair of pants in Pana, a deep brown color. got them home to wear and they turned my legs a very nice tan color. any tips on how to seal the dye in?

2 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM
    • FilipS5's Profile Photo

Is it safe in Guatemala City and in Guatemala in general?

Guatemala City Feb 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Is it safe in Guatemala City and in Guatemala in general?
      What are the places to avoid?

1 Answer Apr 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    • Visa Run from Antigua to Copan, Honduras

Antigua Guatemala Feb 12, 2014 at 5:26 AM

Is Honduras still part of the CA-4 or will they renew the visa? I have heard different things. If not, what is the easiest, quickest, safest border to cross (Mexico or Belize) with 6 young children? Thank you in advance for your help.

3 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    • Tapachula to Mazatenango?

Mazatenango Jan 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM

How can I travel from the airport in Tapachula, Mexico to Mazatenango by bus?

• Young people in Antigua

Antigua Guatemala Jan 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I'm travelling to Antigua over the summer and I was wondering if there were a lot of activities for college-aged people. Also, are there any good ways to meet other young people in the city?

5 Answers Apr 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    • Family seeking recommendation for cultural, linguistic and ecotourism for 8, 10 year old boys

Guatemala City Jan 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM

My family will be visiting Guatemala for about 6 days starting 4/10 and wish for the kids to enjoy their time there while they see the amazing culture and history of the country. My sons love animals and archeology. They can be a bit mature and endure some "adult" venues. Please recommend must sees in the capital, Antigua and nearby places. Restaurants that are kid friendly too. Thanks, in advance, for making this trip memorable and educational.

6 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    • hammocks in antigua

Antigua Guatemala Jan 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I did not buy on my last trip, but want to buy on an upcoming one, a beautiful, colorful, ornate hammock from Antigua. It was $125 when I last was in Antigua and it was for sale in a home furnishings store, I think. Does anyone know what store that is? Thanks, Peggy

• Luggage Storage at or near Guatemala City airport.

Guatemala City Dec 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I need to leave a couple of bags at or near Guatemala City Airport while backpacking, does anyone know where I can do this so that a friend can pick them up?

Thanks, Lynn

3 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    • Cycle hire

Tikal Dec 14, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Hi, does anyone know if you can hire cycles at Tikal as my walking is not too good ?

1 Answer Dec 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Heading to Antigua and Lake Atitlan

Guatemala Dec 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

We are heading to Guatemala; Antigua Guatemala (2 days) and Lake Atitlan (staying in San Pedro la Laguna for 7 days) in early 2014. Any suggestions of places we should not miss?  While we will primarily be there to participate in a photography workshop, we should have enough time to poke around and will be looking for things to see and place to eat.

6 Answers Dec 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    • ejordan's Profile Photo

Climate/weather December

Antigua Guatemala Nov 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

What is the climate/weather like in December and January? Especially interested in humidity level. May come down and stay in hostel, any suggestion? How is traveling from Guatemala to Beliz, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.? Is there good transportation between countries? Bus, boat, or train?

4 Answers Feb 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    • jrmcdona's Profile Photo

Taxi departing at 9pm from Guatemala city airport to Antigua

Guatemala Nov 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Hi All,

Is this doable and fairly safe night time taxi route?

Thanks

10 Answers Dec 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    • SusannR's Profile Photo

Bus from Guatemala to Tuxla

Guatemala Nov 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I am planning to take a bus out of Guatemala to Tuxla, possibly from Lago Attilan. Is there a bus connection and how long does it take?