Guangzhou Travel Answers

change location
Ihearttheworld's Profile Photo

Going to Guangzhou

by Ihearttheworld Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hellllo everyone

So I am going to Guangzhou to visit a friend. I am a seasoned traveler but I think China is for sure going to be very different than anything I have ever experienced before, any culture tips?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Going to Guangzhou

by xymmot Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

If you have never been there, expect a experience of a lifetime. I have been there many times these past few years and still find something interesting everytime I return. First off, make sure that your paper work is in order, this meaning getting a multi-entry VISA before you arrive so that you can come and go through borders if need be. I am from the USA and season traveler into China, so my port of entry is in Hong Kong, stay a few nights and get my VISA on demand through Shoestring Travel agency, 2days and off I go. I can take a ferry into Guangzhou or go through Macau and into Zhuhai through the Gongbei border. there is a bus there that can take you to Guangzhou or you can fly into direct from HK. Since you have friends there, they can advise you on the port of entry, but the VISA is important to have on hand. when in Guangzhou , you can be overwhem by the population around with a very busy streets. they have a metro now that makes going to different areas more convenient
    Visit all the tourist sites, but best of all I think is to mingle and shop and eat with the local people. Depending on the length of stay in China, you should try to wander outside of Guangzhou to the many different cities of China. Each area has its' own history and historic sites. I just can't get enough of China that I return yearly. Eventually I will find a way to live there for months at a time to get the Chinese out of me, but the country is very adventurous and growing. Follow some VT pages (al2041) member has good insight and travel reports on China....maybe buy a guide book to help yourself to introduce what is happening and must see in the area. Only tip I can give you is drink lots of water, don't be afraid to be adventure outside the norm. Keep your valuables at home and carry your camera and enough money to enjoy the day. Get a card written in chinese and english of the place or area you are staying and if you ever get lost, grab a taxi to get home. I love to wander through out the city and always found my way home for a few dollars using a taxi. (they are pretty cheap for a ride....no tipping) Most of all have fun and smile at everyone...they are not use to happy people.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

It would help if you elaborated a little - what nationality are you? are the people you are visiting Chinese or expats.
    Culture tips -take your shoes off when entering a house or apartment (even some offices)-they will sandals/slip-ons for you to wear.
    If they have a Buddhist shrine (not uncommon in Guangdong Province) then be respectful of that (bow head etc)
    Don't expect to see salt and pepper on a dinner table.
    If you are having banquet meals insist on having serving chopsticks and do not let people take food from the communal plates with their own chopsticks (it is a Hep C risk they should be aware of).
    Always use bottled water -even for cleaning your teeth.
    Do not eat any raw vegetables. Fruit with a skin is generally OK.
    Saying thank you is easy - it is Xiexie pronounced syair syair
    If I think of more I will add later.

• Ihearttheworld's Profile Photo

by Ihearttheworld Online Now Jan 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Hi :)

I am from Canada, and I have been to Europe many times but I know China is going to be really different! My friends are from Canada as well, they are there for a work placement. Hep C is a risk? Should I get vaccinated before I go?

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Jan 19, 2012 at 6:12 AM

yes

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Jan 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I believe that there is currently no vaccine for Hep C -only A and B. That's why you have to be that extra bit careful.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines