Guanajuato Travel Answers

change location

weather - best time of year

by englishjane Online Now Aug 18, 2004 at 11:01 PM

I want to come to Guanajuato for a month to learn Spanish. What are the best/worst months of year with regard to weather? Do they get earthquakes, hurricanes or any other natural disaster in that area? and how safe is the food - is there a lot of stomach problems? thanks, Jane

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • niktemadur's Profile Photo

Re: weather - best time of year

by niktemadur Online Now Aug 21, 2004 at 5:47 PM

Don't worry about natural disasters, Guanajuato is far, far away from the ocean and from any major fault lines. No tornadoes either, those happen only from Texas on up, where polar and warm air masses collide. You may expect to see some thunderstorm activity, and that's about it. Now about the best time of the year to be there, it depends on just how much studying you want to get done. In October the weather is excellent, but there is a two week long, world-class cultural festival known as the Cervantino (as in Cervantes, the creator of Don Quijote), which is a great excuse for thousands of people from all over Mexico to party in the streets, even as classical and avant-garde events are taking place in venues all over the city. If you want a more peaceful experience, try November, and expect warm (not hot) days and chilly nights. But if the Cervantino Festival sounds like your cup of tea, find accomodations as soon as possible. As for the food, I've been there several times and have never had any gastric problems, but then again, I've lived in Mexico all my life and am used to the spicier food. Try the food stands just outside the Hidalgo Market, good, clean and inexpensive. It's ten stands that look exactly the same, and the ladies in charge of each beckon you to eat at theirs; when you pass by, it's like they're doing "the wave". Last time I was inside Hidalgo Market itself, I asked for a beer in a seafood stand, and they gave it to me, with a mound of shrimp, rock salt, and half a lemon. Very, very nice. Well, that's my two cent's worth. Hope it helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines