Guanajuato Travel Answers

change location

charities in Guanajuato

by vtpgc Online Now Apr 20, 2004 at 2:44 PM

I will be visiting Guanajuato & San Miguel in late April 2004. While I am there, I would like to spend some extra time and visit a local charity (like an orphanage, children's shelter, food center, ...) and give a little donation. Does anyone know a charity in Guanajuato that does good work - my search on the internet didn't turn up anything. Thank you very much, Peter

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: charities in Guanajuato

by nagh Online Now Dec 29, 2004 at 9:51 PM

Hi, I do happen to know of a charity in San Miguel de Allende. I was a volunteer at a home called Alma. It is for the elderly. As a culture Mexicans usualy take care of their old, and hardly ever put them in a home. This one was disigned to help those who had no family. I was a volunteer there and am sorry to say the conditions are quite bad. There are about 50 living there two or three of whom are Americans. The could really use some one to talk to or soemthing beaing as the never do anything but sit. There are not activities or games. I was a volunteer there and it is sad. Also The boys orphanage in Mexiquito is very poor, the only time I went was with a school group to donate blankets. They lack the most essential things. Hope that helps Nancy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines