Travel Answers
Guadeloupe

change location
  • fool_moon's Profile Photo

bus from Sint Anne to Deshaies

Guadeloupe Oct 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I do understand that I have to go to Point-a-Pitre and than Change to another bus Station (Bergevin). As this is a 1 mile walk I wonder if there is a urban bus to connect the two stations

3 Answers Oct 24, 2014 at 7:14 AM
  • briantravelman's Profile Photo

Is it possible to explore the island by bus, and still make our cruise?

Saint Martin Sep 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I wanted to spend some time in Philipsburg, than catch a bus to Marigot, walk the town a little bit, than visit Fort Louis, than catch another bus to Grand Case, spend some time there, than catch another bus to Orient Beach, than catch a bus back to Philipsburg, to make our ship. Is this possible, or is it a bad idea? I read that the buses literally stop every 20 feet, so it might be a bit time consuming. Should we just visit Philipsburg and Marigot, and skip the rest. Or is it possible to see all four places in one day traveling by bus? We will have about 7.5 hours. We had about the same amount of time in Copenhagen, and were barely able to see one place.
    If we had more time there, we would have no problem traveling by bus, but we don't want to miss our ship, and be stuck on the island. My main concern is taking a bus, than not being able to find one back to Philipsburg. It happened to us in Aruba, and we had to get a ride from a local. Especially since there is no schedule, and there aren't really any designated stops.
    Any suggestions?
    Don't suggest taking a cab, 'cuz they are expensive, and I don't want to take a tour. Renting a car is also not an option. Only bus.

9 Answers Oct 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  • Cheap accomodation near good snorkeling

Guadeloupe Sep 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM

We are a couple that are looking for cheapish accomodation in a good area for snorkeling.
    We intend to have a scooter so could be off the coast.
    Am checking out airbnb

• Getting around Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe Sep 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Is it feasible to get around Guadeloupe wthout a car?
    We used the busses and mini busses in Barbados and they were great, I only wish there was a similar system where I live.
    One does not see much local colur driving around in an air conditioned box.
    If public transport is not up to it are scooters readily available, I have some phone Nos. but cant find a website.
    Thank you

2 Answers Sep 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • Looking for Absinthe

Saint Martin Sep 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I'm going to be on the Island in October on a Sunday and I would like to buy a bottle of good quality absinthe and not get ripped off with how much they charge. Can anyone recommend any shops? Thank you in advance.

3 Answers Sep 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  • Traveling from Seattle, WA to St. Maarten

Saint Martin Jul 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I live in the Seattle, WA area. Where is the best place to fly out of US & how long is the flight?

1 Answer Jul 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM
  • briantravelman's Profile Photo

How does one get from California to Guadeloupe?

Guadeloupe Jan 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I was checking tickets from Sacramento to Guadeloupe, and it said, "No results match your search criteria". I finally found one, and it wanted me to go to Paris. My guidebook says there are direct flights from Miami and New York, but there are not. You have to fly to San Juan. It won't let me book one flight with layovers from Sacramento to Guadeloupe for some reason, except through New York and Paris. The only way would be to fly to San Juan, which requires two stops, than book a seperate flight from San Juan to Guadeloupe. I could also book a flight to Miami, since they are cheap, and fly to Guadeloupe from there via San Juan, but the tickets from Miami are really expensive.
    Is there an easier way, with less stopovers.
    I read some lady's St. Lucia tips, and she also said she had a difficult time getting to the island from California.

Are there any islands that are easier to get to from Sacramento? I am open to anywhere in the Lesser Antillies, that's outside the U.S. So not Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands. Preferably an island that has enough to see for me to spend a whole week there, otherwise I will have to island hop, which I can't really afford right now.

I kind of want to stick to Guadeloupe though, because it would be cheap, since you can camp for free.

13 Answers Jan 24, 2014 at 9:04 PM
  • clayrolfs's Profile Photo

Elementary Schools in Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe Jan 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM

We are thinking about moving to Guadeloupe and have an 8 year old child. How are the schools for children? Any one better than the another?

3 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM
  • RickS90's Profile Photo

perfumes and colognes

Saint Martin Dec 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Has anyone purchased Creed colognes in St. Maartin? If so, can you please tell me where?

• JhordaniaB's Profile Photo

E.Gwada youth hostel

Guadeloupe Nov 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

is anyone familiar with E.Gwada youth Hostel? if so could you give me some HONEST insights about it? Also what activities can be done there? Is there a close by grocery store.
    J.J

9 Answers Jan 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM
  • Getting from St. Barthelemy (St. Bart), Guadeloupe to Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe May 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

is it possible to drive from St. Barthelemy (St. Bart), Guadeloupe to Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe? if so, what is the distance? if not, is there some sort of ferry option? In attempting to locate distances, it seemed one site indicated that St. Marteen (Dutch Antilles) which is a different island/country was closer to St. Bart, than St. Bart is to Point-a-Pitre which are both in the island country of Guadeloupe.

7 Answers Jan 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM
  • jmandel's Profile Photo

SGF airport in grandcase st martin

Saint Martin May 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

hi do you know if you can fly from san juan to grand case airport in st martin...its a small airport on the otherside of the island....we see air caribe flights come in all the time when we are there...we are tired of big airports..
    traveling from boston to st martin...thanks

1 Answer Jan 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Getting around - taxi tour or?

Île Saint-Barthélemy Aug 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

We are going to be in St. Barth's from 8 am to 3 pm on a cruise ship. I normally use a scooter to get around but can walk short distances. I understand the terrain is pretty steep. How much trouble would I have do you think? My scooter breaks down into 5 pieces and can be put in the trunk of a car.

There are a number of things I'd like to do there. One of them is to take photos in some of the cemeteries. In most places it is possible to hire a cab to take you around for several hours. Could we do that? How much would it be? A one hour island overview from the ship would be65.00 each (for two people). I'd like to think I could do at least that well and for longer and maybe visit the museum.

I'd also like to snorkel but the snorkeling trip is110.00 each.

1 Answer May 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • Tazj's Profile Photo

Car Rental

Saint Martin May 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM

We will be docking on August 30 on the Freedom of the Seas and are considering renting a car to see the island, there are 6 adults in our party. What car rental companies are based at the cruise port and what places are "must see"?

• Safety in Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe Dec 17, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Hallo,

we think about a 2-week-holiday in Guadeloupe in february.

We want to rent a holiday home in basse-terre and prefer a home not in a city or village, but very secluded.

Could there be a problem with crime?

I heart about riots a few month ago? Is this right?

Thank You
    Beate

1 Answer Dec 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM
  • How to go from Philipsburg (Sint Maarten) to Maho beach to see jumpo 747 land Indstillinger

Saint Martin Jul 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

hi,

is there a bus from Philipsburg (cruise terminal) to Maho beach? We want to spend 2h at the beach to see the big planes land near by the beach and then get back to the cruise terminal again.

Can you help with a bus schedule and some tips?

I read the taxi can be expensice (30$ for 7.5mil).

Thanks
    David

6 Answers Jul 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM
  • St. Martin and St. Barts

Saint Martin Apr 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM

visiting st. martin july 2011. is it possible to take a boat over to st. barts to spend the day at the beautiful beaches there? and if so please provide reliable source of where the boat can be booked!

7 Answers Jul 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM
  • Getting to St. Barth's from Anguilla?

Île Saint-Barthélemy Mar 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hi all! Can anybody tell me the best / most cost effective way to get from Anguilla to St. Barth's? I looked at the Anguilla Air Services website, but200/person seems like a lot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4 Answers Mar 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM
  • PHILIPSBURG OR OYSTER POND FROM MARIGOT?

Marigot Dec 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I'm arriving in Marigot port from Anguilla. I have to go to St. Barth but there are no ferries from Marigot the date of my departure. I Would like to know if is it better to go to Oyster Pond or Philipsburg by taxi. Which would be the rate? We are 2 people.Thank you. Paola

• how far from club orient:

Saint Martin Nov 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM

We bought a time share and could stay at the following condos, how far from club orient ? Can we take a bus or taxi?
    Cupecoy, St. Maarten
    Simpson Bay, St. Maarten
    Phillipsburg, St. Maarten
    Oyster Bay, St. Maarten

1 Answer Jan 6, 2011 at 7:16 AM
  • Where to stay

Le Gosier Jan 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Hello,
    We are a couple from Canada (Montréal) looking for an appartment or studio in either Gosier, Pointe-a-Pitre, Abymes from March 1st to June 1st. Where (real estate agent ? On the net ??) should I look to find a good & low cost habitation for 3 months.

Please help me ! Annie

1 Answer Jan 28, 2010 at 5:36 AM
  • daycare in guadalupe point a pitre

Guadeloupe Mar 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

We are Susannah and Monique and we run together 4 kindergarten in Amsterdam the Netherlands. We would like to visit a kindergarten in guadalupe the 24 april till 6 mei 2009. We hope we can visit a kindergarten in Guadalupe. Can you please let us know if there are preschool/daycare centers in Guadalupe en so yes do they have a emailadres or website? So we can see how people in guadalupe run a preschool/daycarecenter.

Kind regards,

Monique and Susannah

1 Answer Mar 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM
  • camilleaja's Profile Photo

Accommodation in Guadeloupe near Ste-Anne or St-Francois (Basse-Terre)

Guadeloupe Oct 13, 2008 at 7:02 AM

We're going one week to Guadeloupe in next April. We're 4, looking for a place (2 rooms, with kitchen) near the beach.

Thank you for your suggestions !!

1 Answer Jan 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM
  • DaveSamaroo's Profile Photo

Things not to miss

Guadeloupe Aug 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Based on my research, this is the main things to see for my week stay in Guadeloupe from Aug 23rd to Aug 30th. There will be 3 kids - age ranges 9mths to 6 yrs. Will be grateful if anyone can let me know if I missed any "Must sees" or can delete anything or anthing special for the kids. Thanks in advance

"Must Sees":
    Pointe-a-Pitre, Plage Caravelle, Iilet Due Gosier, Plage Tartare, Gates of Hell, Port Louis, Parc National de al Guadeloupe, Botanic Garden, Jardin Botanique de Deshaies, La Soufriere, Trois Rivieres, Terre-de-Haut

• DaveSamaroo's Profile Photo

Water, Voltage and water parks

Guadeloupe Aug 16, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Hi: I'll be in Guadeloupe for 1 week from Aug 23rd. Can you let me know:

(1) Is tap water safe to drink, esp in hotels
    (2) Is the voltage 220 or 110 - some websites said both so not sure.
    (3) Any water parks in Guadeloupe?

Thanks

3 Answers Jan 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM
  • our lady of guadalupe

Guadeloupe Jul 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I am sailing on the Maasdam and docking at Guadalupe and would like to know if it would be possible to get to the shrine of our lady of Guadalupe from the dock.

What would be the best method of transportation? Could I get a taxi at the port and how expensive would it be?

Thanks for any help ypu may be able to provide.

• Irina80's Profile Photo

Saint Martin/St Maarten to Dominica

Saint Martin Jun 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Guys! Does anyone if there's any (preferrably inexpensive) way to get to Dominica from Saint Martin/St Maarten? How far are they from each other?
    Many thanks!!

2 Answers Jan 6, 2011 at 7:21 AM
  • MartyAP's Profile Photo

St. Martin Day November 11

Saint Martin May 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM

We'll be in St. Martin on November 11 which is your holiday.
    What does that mean for things to see and do? What's open and what's closed?

Thanks
    Karen

• europalover's Profile Photo

st. barths accomodation for the budget minded

Île Saint-Barthélemy Apr 16, 2008 at 10:40 PM

i'm planning to go to st. barths for a quick 3 night vacation from nyc and need advice on the cheapest way to ge tthere from st. maarten/martin and a nice hotel close to the beach and activities. thanks so much!

2 Answers May 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM
  • europalover's Profile Photo

is st. martin safe? am travelling alone for a few days and don't know where to go in the carribean

Saint Martin Apr 16, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Hi, i just found out i have400 credit for a flight which i have to board by april 29th. and i don't know where to go! i'm flying out of nyc. so the carribean is a natural option. i am open to other places as well, but primarily my concern is safety. i am a single female travelling on my own for 3 nights. advice on st. martin, st. lucia, st kitts, etc? the last two are quite hefty in terms of travel times however.

Thanks!
    d.

1 Answer Apr 17, 2008 at 7:16 AM