Guadalajara Travel Answers

change location
TSM_student's Profile Photo

Insider tipps

by TSM_student Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Hello, Hallo, hola, bonjour,....

Some tourism students are going to attend the summer universtiy in guadalajara and as we are spending there just 4 weeks (which is really not a long time, considered that we have school from 8am to 5pm) i am looking for some good insider tipps / Must DOs / Must Visit /good places to go (restaurants, bars, clubs..) to make the most out of the time there.

maybe also some tipps about transportation (bus tickets and so on)

Thx a lot!

Doris

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Insider tipps

by leics Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Well, the obvious place to look is the VT Guadalajara pages where you will find umpteen tips on exactly the sort of things you are looking for, all written by VT locals and visitors:

Guadalajara Travel Guide

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TSM_student's Profile Photo

by TSM_student Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

thanks for your advice!

i just joined VT - so i did not exactelly know where to find everything.

enjoy your weekend!

• GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo

by GlobeTrekr Online Now Apr 17, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Plaza Tapatia, Plaza de los Mariachis, Mercado San Juan de Dios, eat a Torta Ahogada (drowned sandwich), its a specialty in Guadalajara. Have fun!

I'm sleepy right now but I will try to remember to let you know of many more.

• Re: Insider tipps

by Jetgirly Online Now Apr 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM

My favorite bar is La Maestranza (the one downtown ON Maestranza, not the one in the Zona Rosa). They have an amazing tequila list and super-cheap bar food. Which university are you attending? I lived near UNIVA (west on Tepeyac or Guadalupe, near Plaza del Sol) and developed an unhealthy addiction to the quesadillas at our neighbourhood menuderia... they would stuff them with potatos or squash blossoms for me because I was a vegetarian. You will probably have lots of cheap restaurants in your neighbourhood- try all them to find your favorite! La O is a great restaurant near Centro Magno (upscale international cuisine) and nearby there is also another great upscale Mexican restaurant called El Sacromonte. In the Zona Rose there is another "international" restaurant called Coscafe that has great pizzas and pastas, if you tire of Mexican food. Avoid Santo Coyote- though many people recommend it as a "special" dining experience, all five us us agreed it was the single worst meal we ate in Mexico!

We went to a few nightclubs but none really stood out as being very special to me, though I remember there were a lot of foreigners at one called Wall Street.

Great things to do include riding the Tequila Express (WORTH IT... it's kind of touristy but most of the tourists will be Mexican- we were the only foreigners in our entire car!), visiting Guachimontones and calling in sick on a Friday to take a long weekend on the coast (I recommend Sayulita). All my trip info is here: "Five Months in Guadalajara" - Guadalajara by Jetgirly

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now May 18, 2010 at 8:16 AM

a link for bus info for trips around, while you are in GDL, that may be helpful, differentworld.com/mexico/bu...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines