Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Christchurch to Greymouth (Tranzalpine to CChurch) OR Picton to Christchurch

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Hello all!
      I have to decide if I will do 1) Mount Cook OR 2) take the boat (interislander) between Welly and Picton :
      1) Take a flight from Wellington to Christchurch, then go down to Mt Cook, Queenstown, Milford, Queenstown, the glaciers, Greymouth and then the train back to Christchurch OR
      2) Take the interislander from Wellignton to Picton, then to the glaciers, Queenstown, Milford and then back to Queenstown (flight to Christchuch).

If I choose option 1, I wont see Mount Cook
      If I choose option 2 I wont see the Cook Strait between Welly and Picton

Any ideas?

• For or Franz Josef

New Zealand Sep 22, 2015 at 9:21 AM

I will do the heli-hike on one of the 2 glaciers (one only) in January. I've got a couple of recommendations which are to do Fox instead of Franz Josef if I can do only one of them.

I am just wandering why? Why if Fox superior to Franz? Thanks!

• Hike by myself

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Is it possible to walk that trail *3 hours without a guide? I mean by myself.. early in the morning then take the cruise then back to Te Anau the same day? I dont want to stay at Milfords...Anyway almost everything is booked in January...

Do I have tomake a reservation to walk to the Key summit?

• Hello! Franz Josef

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I've been told that it's not possible anymore to hike on Franz Josef and that I would have to go to Fox if I want to walk on the glacier. Can somebody confirm? Thanks.

• Wanaka to Queenstown

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM

I have read that the road to Queenstown to Wanaka via Crown Range is particularly challenging. How about in January? I have never driven the left side of the road...

• tips for young family

New Zealand Sep 13, 2015 at 11:37 PM

tips for young couple and 15 month old todder regards porta cots etc in family friendly accomm and purchasing a stroller close to Christchurch airport arriving late oct

• Ice/snow on the top...

New Zealand Sep 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Is it still possible to see these mounts/ Glaciers covered in snow/ice during the month of January (summer)? I've been told that the ice melted a lot during the last few years... I'd like to see snow covered mounts... Is it worth to go to Mount Cook during the summer?

• Coromandel

New Zealand Sep 22, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Hi! I will be a few days in the North Island in January. I have eliminated the Paihia area because there will be a lot of vacationers there at this time of the year and that accomodation is very expensive. I could go to Coromandel by car OR take a tour from Auckland... I'd like to see the cove (cathedral). But it seems to be complicated to get there... Perhaps a a tour that would allow me to see it from the sea? Any ideas?

P.S. Is it true that the area has been prohibited because there is a danger of rock collapse - near the cove?

Near Greytown