Grenoble Travel Answers

change location

Living in Grenoble working in Geneve...?

by FABGLOBTROTTER Online Now Dec 2, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Hi!! I just found out that my husband has been relocated to Grenoble....this means I have to look for a job now. I was wondering how hard is it to commute between Grenoble and Geneve? how long does it takes by car and train? is there any monthly card for those conmuting (train).

Any other advise? Thanks in advance. Cheers! Fab.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Living in Grenoble working in Geneve...?

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM

They are 142 km apart or about 1.5 hrs. driving time on the AutoRoute. That is quite a commute. If you are looking for a job, why not look in Grenoble? It's a large university town and should have quite a few possibilities.

You can check train connectons at http://www.sncf.com/

Enjoy Grenoble. It's a really nice city in a stunning area of France. Lots to see and do in the area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM

You can also check train connections (perhaps more easily) in English on:

bahn.de/international/view/e...

or in French here (with fares):

voyages-sncf.com/billet-trai...

It's not really a feasible commute by train, imo.....takes 2+ hours on the fastest trains (whih are not very frequent).

The voyages-scnf site will give you info about any travel cards etc which may be available.

• JLBG's Profile Photo

by JLBG Online Now Dec 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I agree with most of what have been written by others.

Between Geneva and Grenoble, train is the most convenient. Fastests train connections between Grenoble and Geneva are 2:07. If that fits you, may be you will find in the time table a train for you. In my opinion, every day more than 4 hours plus the connections from home to the station makes too much. I do not know exactly about "abonnements" for daily travels but in my opinion, the main problem is not the cost but the time lost for commuting.

Unless you have a very special job (and very well paid!), you should have better to look for a job in Grenoble, a very international city.

• Re: Living in Grenoble working in Geneve...?

by FABGLOBTROTTER Online Now Dec 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Thanks everybody!!

As many of you recommended I will definitely try to find a job in Grenoble first, but so far I have been working for the UN system and Geneve is were most of the UN agencies are located.

Are they any local jobsites were to start looking for a job? any further recomendations?

Thanks again! and Cheers!

• JLBG's Profile Photo

by JLBG Online Now Dec 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I have not myself any information on job research sites but you should find some answers to your queries on http://www.alliancefr-grenoble.org/.

My page on Grenoble will not answer to your job queries but should give you general information on both the city and the Metro (“Communauté d'agglomération de Grenoble-Alpes Métropole”). I hope it will be useful for you.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Dec 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I agree that attempting to do a 'commuter' journey by train between Grenoble and Geneve is not a good idea.

The only trains at anything remotely resembling work hours are 0621 from Grenoble arriving Geneve at 0829 and a return journey at 1624 arriving back in Grenoble at 1835, or 1817 arrive 2035.

Normal round trip fare is €47.20, which an 'abonnmement' or season ticket would reduce.

Perhaps an element of home working plus a weekly trip to the office might be feasible if Geneva is a must. But, yes, finding a job in or around Grenoble itself would seem to be by far the best option.

Or seek to live in a town such as Aix-les-Bains or Chambery, both of which are about half way between Grenoble and Geneve and therefore about 1 hour's journey from each.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines