Grenoble Travel Answers

change location
sunseeker28's Profile Photo

Weather in Grenoble

by sunseeker28 Online Now Mar 17, 2006 at 1:15 PM

I know this question is a bit ambiguous as are all questions concerning weather but I am wondering what temperatures and conditions to expect in Grenoble in mid-April.
Will it be suitable for hiking or is there still snow?

Many thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • firechick's Profile Photo

RE: Weather in Grenoble

by firechick Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 7:45 AM

There has been a lot of snow this spring. I guess I am not sure about Grenoble but in Chamonix (1000m) the snow is melting but still all over the trails now. You can do hikes in the valley where it is more like 700m. Grenoble tends to be warmer, but again when you go higher, there is likely to be snow. Also there can still be spring snowstorms then, and if snow is melting quite a lot you must also pay attention to avalanches possible from things like cornices melting. . . . so really it depends on where you will go, but lower is going to be your best bet. In Chamonix I can say that our last ski area does not close until mid-May so you can bet that anything above 2000m is going to be completely out of bounds unless you are experienced in snowshoeing and be sure to pay attention to likely avalanche areas (or you can hire what is known as an accompagnateur en moyenne montagne, who is trained to know where to safely take you). The tourist office should have a list of qualified hiking guides. Usually you can rent snowshoes in the ski areas so this might be a nice alternative.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines