Greenland Travel Answers

change location

Guide Book

by lonnieg Online Now Feb 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I am planning a trip to greenland, can anyone recommend a good guide book?

I have tried in vain to get the lonely planet greenland and arctic guidebook published in 2005, but they are too expensive second hand.

Perhaps someone can recommend an alternative, or maybe has a copy of the LP guide they would be willing to sell?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gavin.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • AnaMM's Profile Photo

Re: Guide Book

by AnaMM Online Now Feb 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Have you looked online enough? There's the Lonely Planet pages on Greenland too at http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greenland

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AnaMM's Profile Photo

by AnaMM Online Now Feb 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Here's another great Greenland travel guide site at http://www.greenland-guide.gl/ it's up to date with a "this month" section too.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Granted it may be a little out of date as it is a used copy, but how about:
    powells.com/biblio/63-978086...

• Re: Guide Book

by lonnieg Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 5:01 AM

I have looked online plenty thanks Ana, that LP page is not as detailed as i would like. I have been on the other site you suggested and there is plenty of info there alright, im just a guide book sort of person, guess i should move with the times!

Thanks for powell link too sir, much appreciated!

If anyone did have that 2005 book i was talking about and wanted to sell it great, if not ill make do online i guess.

Thanks for the replies,

Gavin.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hey Gavin

I am a bit perplexed at a quibble over a second hand price on a six year old guide book. You do realize that travel to Greenland is enything but cheap. Fact is, travel to Greenland is bloody expensive, and if guidebooks are your thing, the cost of the book is the very least of your expenses.

(OK, I looked, - and I must admit, that is a pretty steep cost for a guidebook. Still,55.00 is not that bad considering the cost of Greenland travel.......)

• TheView's Profile Photo

by TheView Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I am with Odinnthor I live in Greenland and it is very expensive to travel here and live here in general,so if you find the guidebook expensive ...stay away would be my tip to you.

• TheView's Profile Photo

by TheView Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I am with Odinnthor I live in Greenland and it is very expensive to travel here and live here in general,so if you find the guidebook expensive ...stay away would be my tip to you.

by lonnieg Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Wow, what ridiculous, unfriendly and unhelpful advice from two greenland natives!

I hope that when i do get there the people i meet are a good deal different from you two.

I actually only asked for a recommendation for a guide book, and as an aside said the LP 2005 guide seemed expensive. Second hand copies of books tend to be cheaper due to wear and tear etc and it seemed to me a bit strange that this was double, treble and upwards of the original price.

Again thanks to the first two posters for their help, but as for you two, thanks for nothing!

by lonnieg Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Apologies Odinnthor,

You were actually only pointing out that it was expensive, it was your fellow country man who was unhelpful.

I have done my research and know that it is pricey but because of the beauty of your country i thought it looked worth it.

No offence intended.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM

So calling me a Greenlander is not meant as an offense eh, .......d:o)

No worries, just kidding. I don't mind being called a Greenlander, but I am not.

Frankly, I was a bit surprised at the cost of Greenland guide books. There is a huge selection on my country, Iceland, at minimal cost. The prices are really quite prohibitive on the Greenland guides. The lowest I found was that used, and not so pristine one for %55.00. Same guide in better condition but still used, was 200-300 dollars.

So, yeah, I do understand your request, - but had to look first. Hope it workes out for you. Try to find Iceland guides that include Greenland. I have not seen the Loney Planet guide, but in order to fill a book, there has to be a lot of information not useful to you specifically. Unless you are a serious wilderness buff, and even then, there is just so much that is possible to do there.

amazon.com/Visitors-Guide-Ic...

.....and here is the Lonely Planet "Iceland/Greenland and Faroes" for minimal amount of money. I am willing to bet, that what you need to find out about Greenland is in there. Check if out.

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/...

by lonnieg Online Now Feb 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hey Odinnthor,

Ha ha, my mistake! Sorry....

Yeah, its crazy the price of that book, LP don't know what they are missing out on by not reprinting it if that's the extent of the second hand market!

I had a look at those links thanks and i have a few of the iceland books myself so have a couple of chapters.

Myself and my wife travelled to your country 2 years ago this weekend and it was one of the best trips we have ever taken. We just hired a jeep and headed off for a few days on the golden circle tour. Pure bliss.

Thanks for the input,

Gavin.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Greenland Travel Answer Locations