Greenland Travel Answers

change location
crackedpleasures's Profile Photo

Expats in Greenland or Greenlandics in exile

by crackedpleasures Online Now Nov 24, 2006 at 2:38 AM

This country has fascinated me since childhood on. As you all know I'm hoping to move to Scandinavia some day soon, but Greenland is a nordic place quite impossible to move to, though I hope then to still travel around in the country intensively. It does seem a bit of an edge of the world thing, with very little options to get to and little connections to Europe.

Is there anyone here who's been to Greenland? Does anyone know where to get in touch with expats in Greenland or with Greenlandics in Europe, just to chat with and exchange information?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Saagar's Profile Photo

RE: Expats in Greenland or Greenlandics in exile

by Saagar Online Now Feb 9, 2007 at 3:00 AM

Hi, I am Norwegian, and noticed your questions in the Greenland forum have not received any replies. You posted a long time ago, though... I lob your two questions into one reply.
    The Nordic countries will have a lot of info for you on the web, just be aware of the spelling "Grønland" when you use google or the likes. Copenhagen is the best place to start your search, as Greenland is basically Danish and most of the expats are Danes, excpt perhaps for some of the travel agencies. Copenhagen university has many greenlanders, and there will be various academic circles and institutions museums that deal with Greenland. There is at least one Greenlandic shop/souvenirs etc in Copenhagen. Getting a job in Norway these days is comparatively easy if you are from the EU and have qualifications. There is a severe labour shortage nowadays.
    A friend of mine has been working on eco-philosophical and environmental management stuff on polar cultures and had a book published based on the trip to Greenland that he and I did, however, the book is in Norwegian language.
    As for travelling to Greenland, do the Copenhagen-Kangerlussuaq or Narsarsuaq route as it is less prone to delays and troubles than the shorter-hop flights. There is a flight from Reykjavik to Narsarsuaq apparently; otherwise going from the East coast of Greenland to the West coast is about the same as from Copenhagen to Greenland on a discounted ticket....
    Again, generally, try more web searches, and be a bit careful about cheap offers from Danish travel agencies for their Greenland trips.
    Olav

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Greenland Travel Answer Locations