Greece Travel Answers

change location

Solo Travel - Greece Tour or Greece DIY?

by Keltcher Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Hi! I'm a 38-year old single woman who is planning to travel to Greece alone this May. I wondered what the community thought about going on a tour (mostly the Greek Isles) with Intrepid (probably) or trekking out on my own....? I've never been to Greece, so I thought the tour might be better, but wow, they are expensive (I am willing to pay for it, though). But again, just wanted to hear from others on their experiences. Oh, and the trip is about 10 days. :) Thank you!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Solo Travel - Greece Tour or Greece DIY?

by brotherleelove Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

It's very easy to DIY Greece. May is an excellent time to do this. Group tours are very expensive and it limits you to what someone else thinks is the "real Greece" you should see, and they're usually of the cookie-cutter variety. The country has a cheap and excellent bus system as well as a very efficient ferry system for island hopping. Most accomodations are reasonably-priced if you're on a tight budget. Get yourself a good guidebook and see for yourself what the country is about. For the islands T. Cook's "Greek Island Hopping" is the most helpful. I read somewhere recently that the newest edition is either out now or is about to be released.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Solo Travel - Greece Tour or Greece DIY?

by planxty Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Hello there and welcome to VT. You are certainly in the right place for travel advice.

I have been island hopping in Greece since the 80's and whilst it is not the dirt cheap option it once was, it is still eminently achievable. As mentioned, the ferry system is very easy to use and a lot more comfortable than it used to be! May is a very good time to travel, as it is not ridiculously hot and not as crowded as July / August. you only slight problem will be accomodation as single rooms are at a premium. As a solo traveller myself, I know what it can be like. If you want a little peace of mind in this respect, you could book accomodation direct in advance although this then ties you to an itinerary.

As brotherlee points out, independent travel allows you to see what you want to and not what some tour company thinks you should in a large group. Also, you have the great advantage of being able to eat where and when you want and eating in Greece is a delight.

If you are concerned about being a solo female traveller, don't be. The normal precautions you would take anywhere will be quite sufficient. You may attract some flirtatious attention a la Shirley Valentine but I am sure you can handle that. Anyway, even if you are in a group, that could happen anyway if you do not have an obvious "partner". Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Greece Travel Answer Locations