Greece Travel Answers

change location

One more question on Greece: Meteora and Delphi from Athens.

by jonathangera Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Hi Everyone:

Just one more trip question. I've looked at this one quite a bit, but am still a bit confused. Is it possible to do Delphi and Meteora in 2 days from Athens with a car rental (in late March). For example, rent a car in Athens in the am on day one. Drive to Delphi, see Delphi. Next day go to Meteora (or would you drive to Meteora the same night?). See Meteora and drive back to Athens on day two. Is this doable? It seems some places say that this would be tough to do, but when I look at the organized tours, they seem to have this itinerary.

Thanks again!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Re: One more question on Greece: Meteora and Delphi from Athens.

by greekcypriot Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I believe if you want to have the tour on your own by renting a car you can do it on a single day, but you can just as well spend one night at Kalambaka if you wish before you return to Athens. Tours cost a lot, and you can possible find tour guides at Delphi instead of taking the whole tour.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: One more question on Greece: Meteora and Delphi from Athens.

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:42 AM

I would drive up to Delphi and see it and then after that drive ti Meteora and see that the next morning before driving back to Athens.
    It's doable in two days bet remember that Meteora is the most time consuming place to see as there are several monestaries you should make sure to see if you are there.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: One more question on Greece: Meteora and Delphi from Athens.

by jonathangera Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Thanks so much! That makes me feel better about doing this in two days.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by Phillyjan Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Be aware that in the off-season the Delphi Museum closes at 1500, and I think now that the outdoor site also does (due to the budget crisis). If I were you I would arrange to get your car by 7 am, since it will take 3 hours to drive to Delphi, so you will not arrive until 10 AM at earliest. You had better be on your way promptly by 1400, because -- according to the quite reliable Michelin Drive-Planner, from Delphoi to Kalampaka takes 4 1/2 hours, it is 225 Km, almost none of it on an "Expressway" type road. Again, you need to be up early on day 2, because the monasteries close, I believe, at 2 pm, then you face another long drive back to the Athens area. NOTE: I see you're a Cypriot, so perhaps driving in Athens city traffic holds no terrors for you... but if you have problems with traffic jams, agressive drivers, and bad signage, there is ONE rental place (Swift/Avanti) which has a service that many tourists love; the rental guy picks you up at your hotel and himself drives the car to the on-ramp of the expressway heading out of town.

by Phillyjan Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

WHoops! You are not the Cypriot, one of your responders was. Sorry. All the more reason you should get a super-early start, if this is your baptism on driving on Greek highways -- that 225 Km is 140 miles... and the fact that this distance takes 4.5 hours tells you about the challenges of the roadways. Also, since you're trying to do this with severe time restraints and without a tour guide to show you around , I urge you to do your homework on Delphi, I recommend Rough Guide, also Planetware has excellent site maps.

by jonathangera Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Thanks so much again everyone. Phillyjan, you are absolutely right, I just checked the official site and Delphi sites do close at 15:00. I had been busy and hadn't checked on this post in a few days, but as luck would have it we did get our car through Swift/Avanti. However the earliest they can get us out of town is 9am, which means we will get to Delphi no earlier than 12. I've read up quite a lot and it seems I should be able to cover the site and the museum in three hours (hopefully :) )! Thanks again.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Greece Travel Answer Locations