Greece Travel Answers

change location

Itinerary for 10 days

by Uttio Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Hi! I am planning a 10-day trip to Greece in end-May with my wife & 12-yr old son. The rough plan is to spend the first 3 days in Athens. Thereafter we plan to spend a couple of days at each of the following places - Mykanos, Santorini, Crete - before getting back to Athens to catch the flight to Istanbul. Does this sound good?

Would also like suggestions on movement between Athens-Mykanos-Santorini-Crete-Athens. Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • dorothyblue's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary for 10 days

by dorothyblue Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yes,it sounds good! You will have a very nice time there specially in Santorini...a real paradise. You must see the sunset...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Examine your timeline a little closer. Spending 3 days in Athens leaves you with 7 days to visit 3 islands, minus the transit time between them. Don't you think you'll be rushing things? If you're certain you want to keep to this schedule this is the way I think you'll have to do it: From Athens you can get to Mykonos by ferry in as little as 2.5 hours if you leave from Rafina instead of Piraeus, or you can fly there in 30 minutes. Take the highspeed catamaran from Mykonos to Santorini, and then the same cat the rest of the way south to Crete. After Crete you can ferry or fly back to Athens.

Here's an alternative that I think would work better: Upon arrival at the Athens Airport fly directly to Crete, either Chania or Heraklion. After Crete take the cat north to Santorini then on to Mykonos. After Mykonos fly or ferry back to Athens for your last days. This eliminates backtracking as well as the last-minute stress of returning to the mainland for your flight home.

Crete is huge. It takes a minimum of a week with a rental car just to barely scratch the surface. With only 10 days in Greece you'd be better off sticking with Crete ONLY or eliminating it altogether to focus your time on Mykonos and Santorini. Better still, choose one of them plus another island close by such as Paros or Naxos. This will give you a much more diverse experience of the islands since both Mykonos and Santorini are so similarly tourist-driven. Also, Mykonos is more of a party island than Santorini and there won't be much for your child to do there.

• by Ouzone Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

We don't know you or your son so it's rather hard to comment to say the least.

What you have suggested is a typical whistle stop 'tour' of what Turkey and Greece are, rather like a cruise ship. Desperately trying to pack in the highlights, resulting in just moving every other day to some 'highlight' for a day which essentially is rather pointless.

Some might like doing that, but an awful lot don't.

What exactly is your overall objective in this holiday ?

Relaxing, or the beach obviously does not figure anywhere in that plan.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• MITNIC's Profile Photo

by MITNIC Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM

the first 3 days in Athens are enough for a general idea of the city centre.
    The 10 remain days it should be in one of the islands, to enjoy it. Better be Santorini- my opinion- Crete is a huge island and you will have to be on the road all day just to see a little bit of it...

• konstas's Profile Photo

by konstas Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I agree that you have to leave something out. Crete is HUGE you better stay more at Santorini and Mykonos or visit Paros which is very easy to go from Mykonos. Another choice is that you can stay more in mainland. Leave Athens to the end of your trip and go to Peloponisos. Two great places to think about is 1) Nauplio-Mykines-Epidayros (3 places in one route) with various archaeological sites 2) Ancient Olympia-Zaharo beach- Neda waterfall. The place where olympic games where born and an endless beach but not a tourist hot spot.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Greece Travel Answer Locations