Greece Travel Answers

change location
DennyR's Profile Photo

Athens airport to Piraeus to Paros

by DennyR Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:18 AM

We will be catching a flight from Rome to Athens in June that arrives Athens at 2pm. Just wondering if anyone thinks we'd have time to get from airport to Piraeus to catch last ferry to Paros at 5. 30pm, or would we be better to stay overnight somewhere and catch the ferry or jetboat the next morning?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • mindcrime's Profile Photo

Re: Athens airport to Piraeus to Paros

by mindcrime Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:39 AM

hm, kind of stressy but not impossible.

Bus X96 connects the Athens International Airport with Piraeus, the bus ride may take 90 minutes (maybe more depending on traffic)

assuming that you will be outside the airport only after 14.00 you can catch the bus that departs at 14.05, 14.25, 14.50, 15.15, 15.40 on weekdays or 14.10, 14.40. 15.05, 15.35 on weekends

alternative you can take the metro down to Monastiraki and then change to green line to Piraeus. Total time wont be less than 80 minutes.

maybe a taxi ride will be faster but at that time of the day you may find a lot of traffic.

I would spend a night in Athens, you can relax and enjoy the city (choose a hotel at Plaka area) and then catch the metro in the morning to Piraeus

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Take the airport bus to the Piraeus port, very easy and coinvenant. bus has luggage racks and nice drivers who will wait for you to get your belonging out before they pull off. It's a quick ride and now that they use part of the highways, most likely you will get there in time to catch the ferry assuming that you get the ticket and find where the ferry is parked.  If you have done this before, no problem, but if this is your first time, I relax a day before I leave, but it is do able.  Possible that if you get there and leave the airport at 2:30-3:00, you should be able to make your connection.  I would try that first and if you miss the ferry, then find a hotel room in the Plaka and venture out for some Greek history.  Most ferrys have on time departure, so if you don't think that you ahve enough time to catch the ferry, go to plan B.  Have a great trip and thanks for the tip.

cheers tommy x

cheers tommy x

2 members found this helpful

• DennyR's Profile Photo

by DennyR Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Thanks mindcrime and tommy, really appreciate your advice.Sounds like a night in Athens would be the less stressful option! Denny

Be the first to rate this answer!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM

You should have time. The traffic (as you come closer to Athens) will be busy, but a taxi should get you there (at Piraeus) in time. Clearings customs in Athens did not take very long for us.....we caught a taxi and were in central Athens within 45mins.

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM

You should have time. The traffic (as you come closer to Athens) will be busy, but a taxi should get you there (at Piraeus) in time. Clearings customs in Athens did not take very long for us.....we caught a taxi and were in central Athens within 45mins.

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Agree that a night in Plaka is quite a good idea- its a fun part of the city, with great tavernas, filled with music and good food/ Plaka is great for walking around and absorbing the Greek atmosphere.\ I can recommend a great little hotel if you are interested, let me know.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

by Myndo Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I made the Trip from the AirPort to the Port of Pyräus twice in the Last years. Both Times with a Taxi. Took a little over an Hour through quite Heavy traffic ... At about the Same time you would be there. So: well possible to do it. No hassle or hurrying. Admittedly a Taxi is more pricey than the bus, but with a Child and luggage for 3 it was easier that Way.

• DennyR's Profile Photo

by DennyR Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Lynne ,would love the name of that great little hotel.

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Sure can! actually I have 2. See this link: Athens Hotel Tips by lynnehamman

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Greece Travel Answer Locations