Great Smoky Mountains National Park Travel Answers

change location

road trip to nashville

by sampra Online Now Sep 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM

How is the weather in the smokey mountains during the first week in November. I would like to have a beautiful,scenic drive with the WOW factor of the first time viewing of the smokey mountains.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

Re: road trip to nashville

by Jerelis Online Now Oct 1, 2012 at 5:08 AM

September through mid-November is known for the autumn weather. This means: clear skies and cooler weather signal the onset of the fall color season. Warm days alternate with cool nights. Daytime highs are usually in the 70s and 80s during September, falling to the 50s and 60s in early November. The first frosts often occur in late September. By November, the lows are usually near freezing. This is the driest period of the year with only occasional rain showers. In the higher elevations, snow is a possibility by November.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Re: road trip to nashville

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Oct 11, 2012 at 5:05 AM

It really depends on the year. Some years the trees turn color late and November could be quite colorful. If this year they turn early you will find that the Great Smokies will be a bit less scenic. The weather in October does tend to be more stable than in November. So if you can move your trip a week you stand a better chance of fall colors and dry weather. There will be little difference in the temps though.

Take a comfortable rain jacket and a few warm sweaters. By layering you will find just the right combo for what ever the weather. An added bonus is that at this time of the year there will be far fewer people.

The Great Smokies are well worth the visit and I would not hesitate to see them anytime. So November or October I want to encourage you to go. Try early morning and dusk for dramatic vistas.

Happy Trails,

Randy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Great Smoky Mountains National Park