Great Smoky Mountains National Park Travel Answers

change location
karen_mo's Profile Photo

Weather and colours in September

by karen_mo Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Hello - we're considering a trip in September to revisit the Appalachians and ending up in GSMNP - we'd probably be there around the 3rd or 4th week of September.
Are we likely to see any fall colours that early in the year?
What sort of weather should we expect? Is the area prone to rainstorms/high winds at this time of year (we'd be in a little tent!) or is it still quite summery?
Many thanks, Karen

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Weather and colours in September

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 5:31 AM

You will probably be a little too early for really fantastic color changes. Of course a lot depends on the type of weather we have during the spring and summer months. Dry or rainy.

My wife and I spent a couple of days at a Bed and Breakfast in Waynesville, North Carolina back in early October, 2009 at the edge of the GSMNP. We spent one day riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've posted a few pictures in a new tip this morning for you to peak at.

"One October Day" - Blue Ridge by riorich55

There is also a website you can check out if you are in the area which will give you an update on the color changes.

www.foliagenetwork.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • karen_mo's Profile Photo

Re: Weather and colours in September

by karen_mo Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 6:15 AM

thanks RioRich - it clearly varies by year as we were there mid/late October in 2010 and the colours had definately changed to autumn! I wonder if we'll get washed out or not, it was very wet last time so we were wondering if going a month earlier would make the difference. We came in from the outer banks where we had got a proper wind blown soaking in a tropical storm!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Great Smoky Mountains National Park