Great Smoky Mountains National Park Travel Answers

change location

What are the best hiking/camping trails in the Smoky Mountains during Spring?

by beeayoutifullove Online Now Mar 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM

My boyfriend and I are heading there for a week in May. We are very interesting in overnight hikes, great scenery, etc. I definitely want to see the waterfalls too. Any suggestions as to where we should check out?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Florida999's Profile Photo

Re: What are the best hiking/camping trails in the Smoky Mountains during Spring?

by Florida999 Online Now Mar 29, 2011 at 5:06 AM

What part of the Smokey Mountains will you be in? Or don't care? We have probably hiked half the trails there over the years...
    Nice waterfalls that are easy to get to: Any of those at Deep Creek ( see my NC VT page if you want to take a look), near Bryson City
    Great one day hike: Chimney Tops on the Tennessee side ( not that long, but pretty steep), overnight hike: Mount Lecomte ( but I think you need reservations to stay at the lodge on top), there are also a bunch of huts on the AP, but again, they might be full. In the spring, there might still be snow on top
    Oh yeah, one more great hike: hike to the waterfall you can get to from Cades Cove campground ( they have maps there) in Tennessee
    Let's see, there is a nice trail along the ridge starting at Clingmans Dome that goes to a Silas Bald ( treeless mountain), it has a hut
    Enough, or need more ideas? Lol, this is one of our favorite places in the U.S.
    Oh yeah, watch out for bears if you camp in a tent, you MUST hang up your food from a tree, and make sure to not have any food, or other stuff that might attract them in your tent. If you want to camp at one of the backcountry sites, you will need a permit, and depending on which one, they might be full also, but probably not in the spring...
    It could still be cold that time of year. Have fun, I want to go !! Lol!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Great Smoky Mountains National Park