Grapevine Travel Answers

change location

Groceries to take into Gaylord Texan Resort

by patientkendra Online Now Jul 9, 2005 at 1:52 PM

I am going to a convention at the GTR, and I would like to take some of my own food in. But not have to schlep it through the airports. Is there somewhere I could stop and get some fresh food. Like fruit and veggies, and maybe even tofu? I have a wheat intolerance, so sandwiches and bagels are really not an option.

OBTW, I will be taking a shuttle type thing from the Airport, so, any suggestions for transportation that will accomodate a brief shopping stop?

Thank you

PatientKendra

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: Groceries to take into Gaylord Texan Resort

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 9, 2005 at 2:28 PM

Hmmmn, if you're taking the Gaylord shuttle from DFW to the Gaylord, the trip is so short that you really won't have any time to stop someplace (and I doubt the driver would anyway). The Gaylord is just north of the airport, sort of in the middle of nowhere, well, really down a long street that runs by Lake Grapevine that has nothing else on it.

The closest place to "shop" is Grapevine Mills, but this is an outlet mall that has places to eat, but I don't remember any grocery stores there. It is a huge place, yet a year ago, I managed to walk through it and not find anything I even wanted to buy - outlet malls are very boring for me.

The mall has an extremely uninformative website at www.grapevinemills.com .

In the other direction, you are on the northeastern part of the city of Grapevine itself, but I believe that the closest part of town to you is all residential.

To me, you have three choices:
    1. rent a car (this is Texas, where walking appears to be outlawed in many places ;-) ) and drive to nearby Grapevine, SOuthlake, Colleyville, etc.
    2. find out if the Gaylord shuttle makes regular runs to a place with a grocery store (it would be great if Grapevine Mills had such a place, I just don't think it does).
    3. Take a taxi from the Gaylord to a store like the Albertson's in Grapevine near 114 - this will be maybe 2-3 miles by taxi. There are many other stores in the general area.

The one option you don't have is walking...sorry...

If I think of something else, I'll shout...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: Groceries to take into Gaylord Texan Resort

by YVRDave Online Now Jul 9, 2005 at 2:56 PM

Have you checked with the resort to see if they offer these selections? If they don't, ask them to get some for your stay. They should be happy to supply a service for you. Even though it is Texas, they would have had a few vegitarians stay there.

• RE: RE: Groceries to take into Gaylord Texan Resort

by patientkendra Online Now Jul 9, 2005 at 3:08 PM

Hey, thanks for the info.!
    I believe that the GTR has some kind of *trolley* that goes to downtown Grapevine. Is the Albertson's close to the downtown? How far is the British Emporium?
    Since I come in a bit before noon and checkin is at 3 I will have some time there.

OK, thanks again.

Kendra

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Groceries to take into Gaylord Texan Resort

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 9, 2005 at 7:55 PM

Hmmn. The British Emporium is at 140 N. Main Street in Grapevine (see http://www.british-emporium.com/ ), which I have to believe is in the center of downtown Grapevine...in any case, "downtown" Grapevine is something like only 3 blocks.

What day of the week are you coming in? On Saturdays, there's a Farmer's Market in downtown Grapevine - see http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

There's a VT page - see Grapevine Transportation - that talks about the trolley; perhaps you saw this.

Look at dogpile.com/info.dogpl.ultim... - there are at least 3 places about 1/2 mile from downtown - Burrus Super MKT No 1 (west), Grapevine Market (west), and Winn-Dixie (south). So if the weather is not too gruesome (hot) and you don't mind a walk, perhaps this will work for you...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines