Grand Turk Travel Answers

change location
grandmaR's Profile Photo

Can I accomplish my three Goals in Grand Turk?

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 9, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I am going to be in Grand Turk for one afternoon in November (1200 to 1800). I have three goals - which are - in priority order.

1) See and photograph the lighhouse
2) Dive or snorkel
3) Visit the town

I am not a very mobile person. I can walk a little distance, but not on uneven or soft surfaces. I have no problem swimming and am a certified diver, but I haven't been diving in some time.

The ship (Holland American Statendam) had no tours listed for this port.

I have heard that there is a hop-on-hop-off bus. Does anyone know if it is a jitney bus type thing with open sides, or a regular bus? Could I take it out to the lighthouse and then back to town? Is it worth it?

Is there any way I could fit in a short snorkel somewhere in there, keeping in mind that I'd need to change back into clothing afterwards, and that in November, it gets dark early. Also I'm not a real high energy person.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Can I accomplish my three Goals in Grand Turk?

by Lorelei1963 Online Now Jul 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Since you are only going to be in Grand Turk for six hours, I would say that you will be quite busy trying to accomplish all three of your goals, but I would not say that it is impossible. Absolutely I would say take the bus - they have both kinds of buses, and horse drawn buggies that seat about 20 as well. You could even get one of the many cabs to take you there ... just work out the price in advance. The lighthouse is small and would only take you half an hour (maximum) to go through the entire thing and take pictures. It is a beautiful spot and the bus ride would allow you to see the entire island, as the lighthouse is on the complete opposite end of the island from the cruise centre. I'm not sure how long the bus stays at the lighthouse so you'd want to make sure that you ask that question, to ensure you've still got time for everything else. As for the town, it is quite small and you can probably fit in an hour or so there, just walking around and getting a feel for its quaint charm and laid back atmosphere. Great picture taking to be had as well. Snorkeling is available at the cruise centre. They have a lovely beach right there, or if you feel like walking a short distance (10-15 minutes), you can go to Governor's Beach, which has some of the best snorkeling on the island. In fact, you can probably convince the bus driver (or taxi driver) to drop you off at Governor's Beach on your return trip, as people tend to be very friendly and accommodating on the island. It is too bad that you will not be able to dive, but if you chose to do that, that is all you would be able to do, as it is an all-afternoon (or better yet, an all day) experience. Enjoy your time on the island!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Can I accomplish my three Goals in Grand Turk?

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 15, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Thank you - that was very helpful. The ship information says there is a shuttle to Governor's Beach every 20 minutes so I could probably go there last. The hop on bus is supposed to be every 15 minutes. I will let you know how it works out.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines