Grand Canyon National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Sunrise Location along South Rim?

by mL78 Online Now Apr 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I am planning to take my wife to the Grand Canyon for her birthday and want to be there for the sunrise in June. Will be driving most of the night and arriving to the Grand Canyon Village area sometime around 4am. From what I've read it seems you can enter the park at any time of day.

Wondering if there is a good place(s) we could drive our car to and park to see the sunrise (from the car); possible short walk ok too (as we'll be driving all night and probably not up for a major hike).

Thanks

more
    • One Day Itinerary to Grand Canyon- South Rim

by trabac Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

what's the best itinerary, traveling from Las Vegas hotel via car to Grand Canyon south rim. Planning to camp for only one night and would like to see hoover dam. Not sure if I should tour hoover dam prior to arriving GC. My main focus of the trip is viewing sunset and sunrise from viewpoints.

more
    • Sunrise Location along South Rim?

by mL78 Online Now Apr 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I am planning to take my wife to the Grand Canyon for her birthday and want to be there for the sunrise in June. Will be driving most of the night and arriving to the Grand Canyon Village area sometime around 4am. From what I've read it seems you can enter the park at any time of day.

Wondering if there is a good place(s) we could drive our car to and park to see the sunrise (from the car); possible short walk ok too (as we'll be driving all night and probably not up for a major hike).

Thanks

2 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    • One Day Itinerary to Grand Canyon- South Rim

by trabac Online Now Apr 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

what's the best itinerary, traveling from Las Vegas hotel via car to Grand Canyon south rim. Planning to camp for only one night and would like to see hoover dam. Not sure if I should tour hoover dam prior to arriving GC. My main focus of the trip is viewing sunset and sunrise from viewpoints.

5 Answers Apr 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    • Can I enter the park at night?

by maximus3219 Online Now Feb 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM

All the hotels inside grand caynon are fully booked, so I am going to stay in one of the hotels near the south entrance e.g. grand canyon resort. I am wondering whether I could enter the park again at night, once I head back to the hotel after sunset?

2 Answers Feb 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    • Snow chains needed

by harmattie Online Now Dec 5, 2013 at 1:35 AM

We will be traveling to the south rim around the 25th of December. We will be coming from Los Angeles and heading towards Santa Fe in a rental car. We are concerned about driving a rental car through snowy mountain roads. Are you aware if snow chains would be required?
      Thanks!

5 Answers Dec 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    • goodfish's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon to re-open tomorrow!

by goodfish Online Now Oct 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The canyon will open to visitors tomorrow (10/12) with state of Arizona funding through the rest of the upcoming week. Hopefully a budget agreement during the next 7 days will return operations to the federal funding and keep it open beyond that point.

I'm assuming this may only be the South Rim as the North Rim usually closes up about this time of year but I'll update this post as more info becomes available.

4 Answers Oct 13, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    • baldurontour's Profile Photo

Government Shutdown USA

by baldurontour Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Hi VTs!

It is October and the news sys all parks in USA are shutdown! Is it still possible to drive to Grand Canyon by private tour? Is it "impossible" to reach the grand canyons? Please help if any one has been there since the 1st October 2013...thanks!

B

22 Answers Oct 12, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    • AdrianaP8's Profile Photo

How is it with the entrance to the park itself?

by AdrianaP8 Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Hello. So I am travelling with a group of 4, we are only 18 - 21 years old. We are not planning to stay in GC we just want to see the sunset, so I am wondering, if we leave Las Vegas (with a car) at 10am and arrive to GC at cca 3pm, how long are the waiting lines into the park, will we have to wait for hours in lines, or we just drive there, pay the entrance fee or whatever, park our car and take the bus that park offers? Can we be out of the park, on our way if we want to leave at 8pm? We really just want to see the sunset and maybe a small part, really really small part of GC, but our parents and friends are all like: you can wait in lines for hours, that plan to be in GC for only 5 hours won't work etc....

12 Answers Jun 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    • deb101's Profile Photo

2 week trip Vegas to Denver via Grand Canyon

by deb101 Online Now Jun 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM

We have 2 weeks to get from Las Vegas to Denver
      Thinking of
      GC
      monument valley
      Zion
      Bryce Canyon
      Moab

We are happy to walk as long as it isn't too strenuous and not for more than an hour or two.
      Need some help as to how many nights to stay at each and where
      Also in GC what are the must sees

Thanks

6 Answers Jun 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    • Visit in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona

by micdai2000 Online Now Jun 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I have 3 days and 3 night time in visiting Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona and I will stay at Wailliams. Can anyone have suggestion for my visit ?

6 Answers Jun 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    • mickey.p's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon to LA via Route 66

by mickey.p Online Now Apr 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I'm just organising a multi centre trip to the US and I am spending 5 nights in Vegas and then I am going to drive to the Grand Canyon and stay 1 night there. I believe you can get to route 66 to from the GC but just wondering how as the driving directions from Vegas all take me to the North Canyon. I know that route 66 is south of the Canyon so how would you join it and how long would it take?
      Finally where would be a good midway point to stay for 1 night on route 66 before leaving for LA the next day?

6 Answers May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    • IrishRose1's Profile Photo

Surprise for husband

by IrishRose1 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My husband has always wanted to take a helicopter over the Grand Canyon. He will be 67 and I am hoping to surprise him with a trip in May 2014. I need suggestions for places to stay, activities that do not require a lot of walking and suggestions on air tours. I am thinking a budget of $3000 for the trip from Michigan.

8 Answers Jun 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    • robbye77's Profile Photo

Time planning in Grand Canyon

by robbye77 Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Hi all, I'm about to drive from Las Vegas to G.C. shortly. I'm quite confused trying to plan how much time I will need. My pland is basically this: day 1: leaving LV early in the morning, driving to GC, enjoying the GC 'till sunset, staying overnight day 2: driving around towards Page day 3: visiting Antelope Canyon day 4: driving back to LV and flying out in late afternoon.

Got some questions: - where to spend the first night? GC village or somewhere else? Or could I be able on the same day to drive towards east a bit more or even to Page saving one night? - if I stay the last night in Page, can I leave early in the morning to be in LV on time to catch my flight around 5pm or is it too much?

We're not hiking so we'll spend time slowly driving around stopping all the times we'll like or using the shuttle bus service.

7 Answers Feb 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM
    • Best route from GC South Rim to Zion & Bryce NP

by jackberry Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Will be traveling from Grand Canyon leaving via east gate to Zion & Bryce NP via Kanab in mid May. Which hwy would be the most scenic 89 or 89A, In no hurry will likely overnight around Marble canyon. Also any interesting things to look for.
      Thanks

2 Answers Jan 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    • East Rim Lookouts

by helenslea Online Now Nov 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM

We will be travelling from Phoenix to Grand Canyon Village on December 27th and are planning on going from Flagstaff along East Rim Drive. There appear to be a lot of lookouts along the road. Should we go to all of these or, if not, which ones should we concentrate on?

4 Answers Nov 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    • 1 or 2 Nights at Grand Canyon Village in December

by helenslea Online Now Oct 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Hi. Just wanting opinions. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 teenage girls travelling to the US in December. We are flying from New York to Phoenix on December 27th arriving in Phoenix at 10.30am and plan to drive straight to Grand Canyon National Park. Assuming we will get there mid afternoon we will get to some time to see the canyon that afternoon, see the sunset and stay overnight to see the sunrise the next morning. The question is, we can either stay another night at the Grand Canyon giving us a full day there then driving to Las Vegas and having 3 nights in Las Vegas. Or we could spend most of the day at the Grand Canyon then drive to Las Vegas later that day and have 4 nights in Las Vegas. Things to keep in mind are that the children do not like hiking but the adults prefer country regions to city ones.

10 Answers Nov 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    • Free Park Bus Service

by stephenao Online Now Feb 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I'll be in GC (Sourth Rim) on 5/9 for 2 days, can anyone advise if the bus service will operate and how do I get the schedule and routes?

Greatly appreciated your feedback soon

7 Answers Feb 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    • Grand Canyon South Rim in 1 day and a half

by Urbanomad Online Now Jan 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Hello,

I will be travelling from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Village (South Rim)on the 7th of June 2012. We will be departing Las Vegas around 08:00 AM and should arrive at 13:00 at Grand Canyon Village.

Since our schedule is pretty tight we are thinking of spending the rest of the afternoon at the Village and around that area. The next day we will continue around that area and try to fit in as many activities as possible. After that, around 07:00 PM we will drive to Page.

Based on this initial itinerary can anyone help answer some of my questions?:

1. From Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Village are there many restaurants and gas stations?
      1. Do you think the time we spend at Grand Canyon Village and around is enough?
      2. What should we do / see while we are at the Grand Canyon Village?
      3. On our way to Page are there other sites of interest? Along the road can we see the Canyon?

Thanks in Advance!

8 Answers Jan 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    • Oscar_Nonis's Profile Photo

Visiting Grand Canyon

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hello VTers,

I'm visiting Grand Canyon for the second time on 21st December.

This is specially for fun and take photographs. Any tips are appreciated.

Hope to meet some VTers if possible

4 Answers Nov 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    • Patricia286's Profile Photo

Need your advice on our short visit...PLEASE

by Patricia286 Online Now Nov 4, 2011 at 8:45 AM

We will be leaving NV for the South Rim tomorrow morning on 11/5/11, around 9 or 10 am. We then have a 3.5 hour drive. We would like to see the sunset tomorrow evening at 5:29 pm. Also we thought about getting up and doing the sunrise Sunday morning at 6:56 am. Now take into account that this area is going to get 3-6 inches of snow from tonight till Saturday 8am. We are very excited to be visiting for our 1st time. It is going to be very cold. BRRRR.... We have to leave Sunday afternoon to get back to Nevada. So we only have Saturday afternoon & Sunday to do as much as we can.
      Questions:
      Should we park our cars & take the free shuttles?
      Would we have time to do all three?
      Should we do them all or should we just concentrate on one or two routes?
      Should we spend the time & drive the 25 miles to do the Desert View Drive?

I don't want to be rushed thru anything. I just want to stop & smell the roses so to speak. I love photography so it's a little overwhelming trying to figure out our schedule for such a short time of being there. Any help would be great. We are staying in Tusayan for Saturday night.

5 Answers Nov 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    • What type of weather can we expect arount Nov. 21?

by blueswade Online Now Oct 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

What type of weather can be expected around November 21st on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? Will it be cold?...How cold?...Is snow a definite possibility?
      Is the view of the canyon clear during this time of year?

3 Answers Oct 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    • Smooth Rafting or River Trips

by tats1952 Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I have read about the smooth rafting from River Discovery which operate from Page, is there any other trips like this a bit closer to the Canyon, we dont want a tour we have a car so Im just wondering if an overnight in Page would be the way to go if this is the only place for the river trips.

Also, earlier in our itinery we are coming from Las Vegas I believe by reading an other members post Havasui falls/peach springs is on our route, does anyone know if you can get right up to the falls by car or how far if on foot from the car parking spot.

thanks mo

3 Answers Sep 6, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    • Will be coming to Grand Canyon October - lots of advice

by tats1952 Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM

We fly into vegas and stay for 4 nights, hopefully will see death valley and Hoover dam, and lake mead. Have booked Red Feather lodge just outside the Canyon as there was no availablity on south rim.

Would we need to book the helicopter ride beforehand or can it be booked when we arrive.

Can we get the National Park passes from Vegas or do they have to be got at the first park, I am getting the80 all parks.

Can I drive over there on a UK license

I was reading a thread about monument on east side, does anyone know what distance is between east and south.

Do you get the detailed walks on arrival at the park, Toms mobility wont allow walking for miles I am hoping not all trails are for miles

20 Answers Aug 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    • Last minute visit July 5/6, 2011 - Grand Canyon South Rim

by novascotiacaper Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM

4 of us decided to make a last minute trip to Las Vegas from Eastern Canada from July 2-9, 2011. We want to visit the Grand Canyon South Rim - I myself have been to the West Rim but no one else in my party has been anywhere near.

We will be renting a car for sure and I was thinking about leaving from Vegas mid morning and driving over on July 5th, staying overnight possibly at the BEST WESTERN Grand Canyon Squire Inn for the night (all Lodges in the park are booked). We would then have the afternoon/evening to see things and then the next day as well. We won't be in a rush to get back to Vegas but will definitely head back that day.

2 of us are into hiking and 2 aren't as much, but we definitely want to try to get out and do something. Since July is going to be hot there, can you make recommendations on hiking trails nearby, I read the most about Bright Angel Trail because there is water and shade, but I am open to all suggestions.

We like to cram as much into our time as possible! Any suggestions on the hotel, itinerary, where to eat, what to see and where to hike would be much appreciated!

10 Answers Jul 1, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    • GRAND CANYON IN DECEMBER 12-13

by ricik Online Now Jun 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Hi:
      We´re not experienced snow drivers(never driven in snow and/or with snow chains).
      We´ll go to Grand Canyon in Dec 12 with a route as follows:
      LA/WILLIAMS/GC.
      We won´t be able to use snow chains because it´s a rental.
      What are the chances of hitting snow on the way to Williams and on the way Grand Canyon?
      Appreciate all the help we can get!

19 Answers Jun 13, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    • Public transport to and out of Grand Canyon

by Hopegift Online Now Sep 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Hi folks,
      My friend and I plan to do an overnight stay at GC. However, we're not experienced drivers and hence travelling in by car is not an option to consider. I've search through many websites, but was unable to find any form of public transport to and fro Grand canyon. It seems like the other option will be travelling with tour operators which we are not too keen as we would prefer flexibility in our choice of accommodation and timing. Grateful for advice.

9 Answers Oct 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    • Havasu Falls

by anniesmom Online Now Jul 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Hi--We'd like to get to the Falls from where we're staying at the South Rim--in Maswick Lodge. How long a drive is this? Is it worth doing? Can you get to the falls without a difficult hike. (My husband is 83.) Shoudl we plan to stay overnight if we can? Thanks so much for any and all suggestions.

5 Answers Jul 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    • Going to Grand Canyon on early April

by keiyin Online Now Mar 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Hi everyone. My grilfriend and I are going to Grand Canyon on 4/2 & 4/3 and need some help on planning the route. We will stay in Flagstff on 4/1 night. On 4/2 morning, is it better to take the east entrance or the south entrance? We will then stay inside the park on 4/2 night and go back to Las Vegas on 4/3. When we leave the park, I'd like to exit through the other entrance. We plan to see both sun set and sun rise. Please recommend view points for each.

I notice there are two monuments on the way to Cameron. Are they worth it to visit and how much time we should spend on each if they are?

Many thanks.

5 Answers Mar 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    • church services

by Suehouse Online Now Mar 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Are there any church services in or around the G. C.area? We are staying on the south rim.

4 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    • tara23's Profile Photo

what can we do enroute to the grand canyon from bisbee?

by tara23 Online Now Jan 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM

We have decided on a very last minute trip to the rand Canyon on January 19th, so we have about a week to plan. We have hotel reservations a mile outside the park gates, so that is not my question.

My husband and I, (both 26) are new to this side of the states, and i have completely fallen in love with local legends and the Arizona way of life. We are at Fort Huachuca, close to Bisbee, and are driving to the GC. I was just curious about what, if anything, is there to see or do en-route. I'm not big on tourist things, but my husband is a little, I like off the beaten path things, odd things, small things most often overlooked.

Also since this IS a last minute trip, any suggestions on key points to hit in the canyon, or around in the area, i know the canyon is beautiful, thats a given, but I want a little more than just looking out over a viewing point, but please, advice on a viewing point would be great also!
      (excluding any heavy hikes, we will do those later, this is our anniversary, so we are taking it easy on our first trip in.)

Any info would help, really, thanks,
      Totally GC clueless!

21 Answers Jan 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Drive time from Scottsdale to Grand Canyon South Rim

by swdke Online Now Dec 31, 2009 at 6:26 AM

What is the drive time between Scottsdale to Grand Canyon South Rim? I've checked some of the online maps, and each seems to give a different drive time. Thanks.

6 Answers Jan 4, 2010 at 6:31 AM