Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

East Rim Lookouts

by helenslea Online Now Nov 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM

We will be travelling from Phoenix to Grand Canyon Village on December 27th and are planning on going from Flagstaff along East Rim Drive. There appear to be a lot of lookouts along the road. Should we go to all of these or, if not, which ones should we concentrate on?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: East Rim Lookouts

by goodfish Online Now Nov 21, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Hi again -

I osted this info on the eat entrance in your previous post (just an FYI for other posters to this thread):

"If you arrive by the EAST park entrance via Cameron (take 89 north from Flagstaff, and 64 west from Cameron) there are two small National Monuments you can visit on the way: Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki.

http://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm

The east entrance also provides a truly awesome first look at the canyon from Desert View. There will be multiple overlooks to stop at on the way in to Grand Canyon Village on the east road."

We did stop at all of them simply because they're easiest to do from that direction should the road be busy: you'll be making right-hand turns into the parking areas so don't have to wait for an open spot in traffic. It's entirely up to you though: I'd make your decision based on amount of daylight you have? As the light in the canyon is at its best earlier/later in the day, you may want to get your photos in while the time is ripe! :O)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Nov 21, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Sorry - forgot to mention:

If for some reason you get behind schedule and only have time to do ONE, it should be Desert View: the very first lookout, with the tower. A first look at the canyon from there is just breathtaking - not that they aren't ALL fantastic.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: East Rim Lookouts

by MikePinTucson Online Now Nov 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

If you have the time, stop at all or most of the named viewpoints. There are several that are not named, but have parking pullouts. You also probably would skip Yaki point, because private autos are not allowed on the road to it (maybe 3/4 mile from the main road). Only shuttle buses are allowed on the road out to the point. But Yaki point is one I like for sunrise because hardly anyone goes there. I park along the main road and walk to the point, often seeing elk grazing along the road.

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Nov 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I can't remember all the stops on the tour from Flagstaff, but we did quite a few and each one gave a different view. As the day progressed the light seemed to change too which added to the changing beauty.
    I remember the stone watchtower at Navajo Point or Desert View, and before that a stone outcrop.
    Perhaps work out particular view angles from a map as you travel around the canyon.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park