Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location
Oscar_Nonis's Profile Photo

Visiting Grand Canyon

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hello VTers,

I'm visiting Grand Canyon for the second time on 21st December.

This is specially for fun and take photographs. Any tips are appreciated.

Hope to meet some VTers if possible

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Grand Canyon

by goodfish Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Oscar, I guess my biggest question is how you're going to be doing this trip. According to your posts, this is your itinerary:

Grand Canyon - 21st
    Page - 22nd
    Tahoe - 23rd
    San Francisco - 24th
    LA - 25th

You have VERY long distances here to drive and will likely see little to nothing at all in these time frames - although you could get from the Canyon to the Page area while it's still daylight.

It is also winter in the Canyon/Tahoe areas and roads could be a challenge: in fact, they reported a big winter storm winding up for the Southwest in the paper yesterday that could affect the canyon.

So, how are you intending on getting from place-to-place, and have you booked accommodations? The Grand Canyon fills up VERY far in advance - especially around holidays (24th is Christmas Eve, 25th is Christmas day so your whole trip is right on top of the holiday).

Honestly, I think you have driving distances here that are just not doable for any sightseeing at all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • semper.max's Profile Photo

by semper.max Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I agree with Kate (goodfish). You might be spending most of your time driving with this itinerary.

• Re: Visiting Grand Canyon

by briskinn Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM

By December the North Rim is technically closed, however you can still hike Rim to Rim. Which really is the only way to see the canyon. The pine forest of the North is drastically different than the desert of the South rim. I'd just bring a tent and camping stuff. This way you could Hike, Find a place set up shop (there shouldnt be anyone to bother you) and then hike back. Phantom Ranch should still be open.

Even if you dont go all the way across make sure you get down in the Canyon itself, it is a special place.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Hey there, briskinn. As mentioned before, please read ALL the info before posting? The OP's trip was nearly a year ago.

And again, I'd be VERY cautious of encouraging rim-to-rim hiking without knowing more about the poster. The NPS strongly advises against that unless you are a conditioned hiker with the right equipment, and they NEVER advise doing it solo. The also require a backcountry permit for camping anywhere but on the established rim campgrounds. Advance reservations myst be made in advance for Phantom Ranch regardless of season.

Please reference the NPS website for this info.

People get themselves into trouble there all the time because they underestimate the altitude, heat, distances, the amount of water they need, proper footwear, etc.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park