Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Smooth Rafting or River Trips

by tats1952 Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I have read about the smooth rafting from River Discovery which operate from Page, is there any other trips like this a bit closer to the Canyon, we dont want a tour we have a car so Im just wondering if an overnight in Page would be the way to go if this is the only place for the river trips.

Also, earlier in our itinery we are coming from Las Vegas I believe by reading an other members post Havasui falls/peach springs is on our route, does anyone know if you can get right up to the falls by car or how far if on foot from the car parking spot.

thanks mo

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Smooth Rafting or River Trips

by goodfish Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 4:52 AM

Havasu Falls is a long hike into the canyon (8-10 miles one way) and no, you can't get to it by car. Most people do this as an overnight.

havasupaitribe.com/hiking.ht...

There are some helicopter flights that land in Supai (the village) but there's some walking to the falls from there.

havasupaitribe.com/helicopte...

There are also pack mule options:

havasupaitribe.com/horses.ht...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Smooth Rafting or River Trips

by goodfish Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 5:06 AM

As far as the river trips go (and we talked about this via email) the reason they start some distance away from the canyon is access: the canyon is very, very deep and getting to the bottom otherwise has to be done on foot or by air. Besides the options I gave you, Papillion has an air/raft tour (1 day) that will fly you to Page from near the South Rim. This one also includes a tour to Antelope Canyon.

papillon.com/popris/show_cat...

• Re: Smooth Rafting or River Trips

by tats1952 Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 5:58 AM

hiya thanks for the tip about the hike, it is too far for us. The only other river trip I have found is lake mead and hoover dam. So we have decided to go to page and stay over after we have been to monument valley (which we have booked to stay overnight too)

We are travelling from Vegas to Canyon on the 93, we are stopping to view hoover dam does anyone know if there is anything else worth stopping to view on that route.
    thanks
    mo

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park