Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Driving time and touring time in Grand Canyon

by JanetLC Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Mapquest shows the driving time from Bryce Canyon to Grand Canyon as 5 hours and 10 minutes. Is this accurate ? How many hours does it take to drive to all the viewing points at the south rim, stopping for 10 minutes at each place?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SLLiew's Profile Photo

Re: Driving time and touring time in Grand Canyon

by SLLiew Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I found that driving through and between National Parks takes much longer than ordinary highway miles. The mountain roads can be narrow, steep or winding and slow especially if following a trailer home. So you need to factor your time so that you can visit your most important vistas before the sun set.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

by Camping_Girl Online Now Feb 26, 2009 at 7:18 AM

A large portion of the South Rim road is closed to public traffic. You have to take the free shuttles that the park provides. This will entail a little more time than if you were driving, because you will be waiting for the shuttles.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Feb 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM

All of the distances you are asking about are very accurate. The mapping software is doing a good job of taking in the driving conditions. The area you are visiting is gorgeous but I do recommend that you concentrate your driving during the daylight hours and plan accordingly. The high desert is a lonely place at night and tends to lull people asleep behind the wheel.

• tourguy25's Profile Photo

by tourguy25 Online Now Feb 28, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Hi Janet,
    The time of 5 hours and 10 minutes is correct if you only drive and not stop. You will travel through some beautiful country in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona and will more than likely find things you will want to stop and photograph like Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, the Navajo Reservation, Cameron Trading Post. So I would give this section a bit more time.

The route you will be taking brings you in to the Grand Canyon via the East entrance - Desert View. You will also have about 4 or 5 viewpoints you will want to visit as well so I will give you my best estimate of time at each.

Desert View Watchtower - about 45min to an hour
    Lipan Point - about 20 minutes
    Moran Point - about 20 minutes
    Grandview Point - about 40 minutes
    Mather Point - - about 40 minutes
    Yavapai Point - about 40 minutes
    These are best guess estimates and you may opt to spend longer or shorter depending on your time. You might want to check this travel blog traveltothewwest.com for more information on the Grand Canyon South rim as well as points between Bryce and the Grand Canyon.

We appreciate your visiting our beautiful part of the U.S. Thank you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park