Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Grand Canyon trip from Los Angeles-Help!

by tashighale Online Now Oct 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Hi there,
I am planning a trip to GC with my friends on the morning of 17th. I have until the midday on the 18th. Can you recommend anything from last minute hotels to outdoor activities. Anything would help. I know it is last minute but I am willing to give it a try.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Grand Canyon trip from Los Angeles-Help!

by bocmaxima Online Now Oct 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM

The 17th of this month?
    Everything in the park will be booked. Try the hotels in Tusayan or at Cameron Trading Post.
    A sunrise and sunset is a must while there. Provided that you're in relatively decent shape, you can also hike down a couple of miles on the Kaibab Trail to give you an idea of the innards of the Canyon.
    It's a great time of year to go right now, so have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

I'm a little confused

by PR-7 Online Now Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 AM

I understand you're leaving Los Angeles very early on "the" 17th (I presume this is two days from now). A trip from Los Angeles to GC is an all day thing, so you're arriving late on Friday at the Canyon. Not recommended, but do-able. If you instead intend to arrive mid-day on Saturday, that's won't be nearly as bad.

As noted above, you (1) absolutely must have reservations for a place to stay and (2) will not find something within the Canyon unless you REALLY luck out. Call toll-free within the U.S. 888.29.PARKS (888.297.2757) to try. If that doesn't work, try to find something in Tusayan.

Where I get confused is the meaning of "I have until the midday on the 18th." Do you mean you must be back in L.A. by that time? That would be physically impossible. Do you mean you plan to arrive at The Canyon at that time? Then just change your reservation date to Saturday. Do you mean you can't figure out what to do after that time? The above suggestions are good.

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Re: Grand Canyon trip from Los Angeles-Help!

by Camping_Girl Online Now Oct 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM

I also wanted to reiterate that you will likely not find a hotel at the GC on such short notice - rooms book up months in advance. Also, I believe the area around Hermit's Rest is closed at the present time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park