Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

North vs South Rims

by dlalex1949 Online Now Mar 28, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Which is better North or South I have always gone to the South mainly because of weather conditions (I rent motorcycle out of Vegas)this year I am planning my trip mid may and may have a choice. Should I just stick with the South or is the North better?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Sevsa's Profile Photo

Re: North vs South Rims

by Sevsa Online Now Mar 28, 2007 at 1:55 PM

If you had never been to the south rim then I would say do that first but you have been there and the two rims are different. Therefore for a different perspective go to the north rim. Its higher and cooler than the south rim and its not always open by mid May but you can check that beforehand. Since it is less known and more isolated it is also much less crowded than the south.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Mar 30, 2007 at 9:22 AM

"Better" is relative you know. Better in what way? I love the North Rim, it is forested and quiet and peaceful. It is scheduled to open May 15 and I expect that will happen this year. If you have been to the South Rim and know what is there then by all means check out another viewpoint. The Grand Canyon is huge, it is not just one point on that long long rim, it is all of it. To really know the Grand Canyon you must see more than the South Rim.

• Sevsa's Profile Photo

by Sevsa Online Now Mar 30, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Well I agree that to really see it you must go into it and not just view it from the rim but since the overwhelming majority of visitors stay on the rim that is their experience. Perhaps I should have said more dramatic view from the south rim than the north and also have said that this only refers to the built up areas.

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

by mikehanneman Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Like the other member said, the North Rim is just opening up when you will be stopping. Check ahead to verify road conditions and keep an eye on the weather.

When I was at the North Rim last August, there was an air taffic controller doing the same thing you are thinking about, coming out of Vegas on a motorcycle. They had a good idea. They would do a loop - Zion NP - North RIm of The Grand Canyon and possibly Bryce N P

Again, check the weather and I didn't know how much time you had.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park