Grand Canyon National Park Travel Answers

change location

Itinerary from Las Vegas to North Rim via Zion or Bryce?

by hogantd Online Now Jan 15, 2005 at 2:21 PM

We are traveling to Las Vegas w/our 3 kids in June. Want to plan a route from Las Vegas to the North Rim with a stop at Zion or Bryce if possible. And...we'd like to do it with just 2 overnights before heading back to Las Vegas. We arent the type to stay and linger anyone place for long, but werent sure what the most logical route would be without too much doubling-back driving. Any suggestions? Is there another travel-route forum I should be searching?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • JimmyG57's Profile Photo

RE: Itinerary from Las Vegas to North Rim via Zion or Bryce?

by JimmyG57 Online Now Apr 10, 2006 at 10:25 AM

That is an aggressive schedule, but here is my opinion, as I am going in July and have mapped my route out already. Be prepared for some driving, but it can be done. Leave Las Vegas early in the morning and head north on route 15. Follow route 9 east to Zion NP and visit the park til almost dark. Prior to that, reserve a room somewhere east of Zion NP for the two nights. I am staying in Mt Carmel Junction, as this location will give you a shorter ride to the Grand Canyon's north rim the next day. On the second day, head south on rte 89 to Alt 89 to rte 67 to Grand Canyon NP. Spend some time at the canyon, and head back to the hotel in Mt Carmel Jct and get a good rest. I imagine the kids will get their naps in the car on all the travel days. On day 3, head west on 9 to route 15 south and back to Vegas. Makes me tired thinking of it but it seems the only way. I opted for 4 nights in Mt Carmel jct as we are seeing Bruyce Canyon on another day and we have more time. We are doing Vegas at the beginning and end too. Also keep in mind the weather - it will be very warm in Zion and Vegas, regular hot in Grand Canyon. I know my 3 kids are pretty tough but I don't wanna wear them down to the point that it affects all of us.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon National Park