Be the First to Answer

• Mule riding

by katty1 Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Does the west rim offer mule rides?

more
    • Dlee's Profile Photo

where to stay for two night

by Dlee Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

We are going on a road trip to GC tomorrow. My mom and dad just passed and we need some time away. Only 5 days apart. We need WiFi in room People need to get hold of us with information. We need clean room for sure.

more
    • Dlee's Profile Photo

where to stay for two night

by Dlee Online Now Apr 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

We are going on a road trip to GC tomorrow. My mom and dad just passed and we need some time away. Only 5 days apart. We need WiFi in room People need to get hold of us with information. We need clean room for sure.

11 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    • Mule riding

by katty1 Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Does the west rim offer mule rides?

1 Answer Apr 4, 2014 at 3:19 AM
    • Thanksgiving at Grand Canyon 2013

by ilutravel Online Now Nov 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hello, my family & I will be driving from Vegas to the South Rim on Thanksgiving day this year & will be staying at Yavaipa lodge inside the park for the night. We planned on leaving vegas early so as to arrive at the canyon in the afternoon to enjoy the rest of the day there. My kids are between 6-13 & I will also have my parents with me, thus would like to know which hike or places we can visit that is easily accessable. Also is there any good dining recommendation for thanksgiving dinner aside for El Tovar? I heard it's good there but can be pricey giving our large family. The plan is for us to get up early to catch the sunrise the next morning, doing more sightseeing around the area then head back to vegas to spend the night there before heading back to LA on saturday. Also is there anything to do at night in the park after sunset? I heard it can be really dark there.The trip to the canyon is rather short thus any tips to see the best points with our limited time there is greatly appreciated!

6 Answers Nov 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    • Best south rim hike for visitor afraid of heights?

by CBPercy Online Now Oct 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Geology-loving daughter has a depth-of-field vision problem that makes her very nervous near steep drop-offs, but she really wants to see look up at the canyon walls from a moderate way down. Is Bright Angel the best trail for her? She'll have a walking stick, which helps her feel anchored.

3 Answers Oct 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    • lost photos

by paulcamilleri Online Now Sep 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM

anyway re buy lost photos from skywalk visit on tha 16/08/2013

1 Answer Sep 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    • Oct weather

by gailtn Online Now Sep 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM

What kind of weather can I expect in October in the Grand Canyon? I'm mostly concerned about the coldest temp it could get towards the end of the month.

4 Answers Sep 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM
    • GRAND CANYON/BRYCE/ ZION?? what to do

by mingzhu Online Now Aug 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM

My husband and I are planning touring CG Bryce and zion but only have 3 nights in late October . Out of LV cant decide whether to go LV - South Rim- Bryce- Zion LV. OR LV Zion-North Rim -Bryce - LV. Both seem like long distance but North Rim looks slightly less distance.Also I notice that there may be road closures after mid Oct on North Rim Access. We can leave LV at crack of dawn on Day 1 but need to be back in LV Aafternoon/Evening of Day 3 to take plane to SF. Can Anyone suggest best route and best things to see. We both like shortish hikes (mx 1hour) good views sunrises/sets. Which is better North Rim or South Rim? Thanks for any help/advice

10 Answers Aug 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    • planning a trip

by dinnerlinner Online Now Aug 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Any suggestions for seeing Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon for a weeks stay?

3 Answers Aug 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    • 1 night stay and self drive to south rim from vegas

by hjlillis Online Now Jul 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Hi,

We have a big trip to America next year (April/May) and are debating what to choose for the last few days. We will be in LA and are thinking of getting a flight to vegas, renting an suv and going to the canyon. How long does it take to drive? I've been told 6 hours? It's pretty long and we would quite like to stay overnight (suggestions?).

We would head there on the 15th May - not sure if the North rim is open and/or a better option?

Really like the idea of taking things at our own pace, seeing the sunset, having a bit of a road trip. Then back to Vegas for last 2 days.

I looked at the heli options but am a bit nervous about this! Also quite fancied the open road!

We would have travelled down the west coast from san fran, and are debated this trip for the last few days against carrying onto San Diego - very nice and chilled but we want to make the most of our trip.

9 Answers Jul 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    • Grand Canyon for 2 days, one night on 08-15 til 08-17

by Splendid_Sun Online Now Jul 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We have 5 adults, and we will drive from San Jose, CA and hit GC on the morning 08/15.

The main points are 1. We want to watch sunrise and sunset. 2. Stay one night in the bottom of GC. Can all you guys give us a tip like what trails should we take, where we can camp at night. Thank so much

4 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    • mickey.p's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon in December

by mickey.p Online Now Apr 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

We are visiting Las Vegas in December for 6-7 nights and we want to do the GC as well as Hoover Dam.

I'm starting with a blank, I know it can be done in a day on a tour as I am a UK travel agent and book this often but we prefer to self drive - hate buses and my son is Autistic so doesn't do well with group travel. We can stay overnight if need be but we are not into hiking so the easiest way to get to the best views is the best idea! I believe that there is a viewing platform made from glass? Is this worth a shot?

If we stay over night we could possibly do 2 areas of the Canyon, is this a good idea? Is there anything else in the area?

Finally if we don't self drive is the helicopter worth doing from Vegas? Or even the helicopter from the canyon itself? Is is likely to be busy during these dates?

How long is the drive and if overnighting is it OK to combine it with Hoover Dam?

Any advice would be great!

8 Answers May 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    • ronploeg4's Profile Photo

Best Rim and Helicopter Tour

by ronploeg4 Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hello all, at the end of august we will visit the Grand Canyon. We doesn't wanna set a date yet. Is it possible to book a helicopter tour when we arrive. What is a relaible and good company. What are the prices? From the forum responds I read the south Rim is the most interesting. Does it have a address for the navigation? Are there interesting places in the neighborhood to spend the night?

Kind Regards,
      Ron Ploeg
      The Netherlands

7 Answers Apr 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    • JenniferW17's Profile Photo

temp

by JenniferW17 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM

temp over the next week please

4 Answers Apr 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    • doomito's Profile Photo

From Argentina to Miami - Grand Canyon - LA!

by doomito Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Hi! we are a couple of friends from Argentina, traveling to meet the Grand Canyon and the West coast. We arrive at Miami, and the idea is to fly to Phoenix, rent a car, drive to the grand canyon, then Los Angeles and up.

We have tons of questions so any advice is very welcome! Mainly:

1) is phoenix the best location to fly to?

2) how long our stay on the GC should be? For now, we booked 3 nights.

3) it is OK to go with a car? we are unsure about this, if there will be snow, etc, etc

4) I was told to take a look at the hoover dam, sedona, the famous route 66... I just don't know in what order :)

Please, any advice is very welcome! :)

57 Answers Mar 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    • wms.lisa's Profile Photo

National Park Pass

by wms.lisa Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 5:16 AM

I will be staying at the Grand Canyon Bright Angel March 15, 2013 and will be driving a car. We will be doing 2 day hikes. Do you recommend buying the entry pass at the gate or at another location?

7 Answers Mar 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    • Driving Ohio to Grand Canyon, advice needed

by JanS22 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Hello,
      We are planning to drive from Dayton, Ohio to the Grand Canyon this summer. There is so much to decide, and I know that we need to get rooms reserved ASAP, so I thought that I'd start by asking for advice here.

It will be me, my husband, and 2 of our children - ages 9 and 11. We will have around 16 days for this trip. I would like to consider taking different routes there and back. Possibly to St. Louis and then SW through OK into AZ one way, and then I70 into CO the other way. It doesn't have to be that way though. We have a son that lives in Phoenix, so would like for him to be able to drive up to meet us at some point along the way too.

I'm the only one that has seen the Grand Canyon or any of the other sites around there. The kids want to see it, Mesa Verde, and the Four Corners. I want to hit Zion and Bryce too, and have seen other places suggested here that sound interesting. They also want to take a raft trip (believe that I did one out of Durango, CO years ago).

Would love to hear your ideas on what all to see. It's hard to know how much time to spend at any location. We will want to spend a couple of days there and back to break up the driving time, so any ideas of what to see or do along the way are also appreciated. This might be crazy, but I'm also toying with the idea of extending our trip on either end. Husband can only take 2 weeks, but kids and I are free longer. Wonder if we could leave early and have him fly one-way to meet us along the route. Could take longer getting there that way and see more sites along the way. Or, send him home after 2 weeks by plane, and take extra time on our way home. Would have to add enough days to be sure that my solo driving time is limited each day. Not up to 7-8 hours a day by myself! Can do 4-5 though.

Finally, when should we go? Potential dates are last 2 weeks of June (up to July 4th weekend), first 2 weeks of July (leave July 4th weekend), or 2 of the first 3 weeks of August.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of what to see, routes to take, and especially how long to spend at each location!
      Jan

4 Answers Jan 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Where to stay

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Have been to the South Rim a few times. Going again and staying overnight. Where would you recommend staying? Have seen mixed reviews about both El Tovar & Bright Angel.

Any other tips on the GC would be appreciated. Just starting my research. Will be going with a 4 yr old. Haven't decided what time of year yet (I realize that accommodations inside the park need to be booked months in advance.)

Thanks!

6 Answers Jan 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    • DianaC20's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon in January

by DianaC20 Online Now Nov 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM

We are looking to drive from Las Vegas in the 1st week of January. We need to know a few things...
      Which is the best rim to visit or that we can visit in January (driving from Las Vegas)?
      Would it be worth a helicopter tour from Las Vegas?
      Do they still offer bus tours in January?
      We are very used to the weather conditions coming from Edmonton, Canada but realize that things may close due to this in the Grande Canyon area so we just need perhaps a locals or experienced travelers opinion.

7 Answers Nov 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    • Grand Canyon To Zion NP

by jackberry Online Now Nov 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

will be traveling from Grand Canyon to Zion & Bryce NP via Kanab in mid May. Which hwy would be the most scenic 89 or 89A, In no hurry will likely overnight around Marble canyon. Also any interesting things to look for.
      Thanks

4 Answers Dec 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    • DeepaP's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon - Thanksgiving Weekend 2012

by DeepaP Online Now Nov 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Hi!!
      We are planning to travel to Grand Canyon during the Thanksgiving long weekend. Traveling with family (2 adults & 2 kids) for the first time to Grand Canyon. My questions are -
      1. Will the wether be too cold? I have checked weather.com and it doesn't look bad but wld like to know from someone who has been there in Nov.

2. Is there any advantage in staying in the Grand Canyon versus outside?

3. Which is the best view point for Sunset? I have heard Hermits or Desert View, please suggest.

4. We have 2 days and 1 night at the Grand Canyon, will that be enough? We wld like to explore east rim and west to Hermits.

Hope to hear from the travellers soon Thank you
      -D

13 Answers Nov 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    • Permit Share Request :)))))

by JulesA Online Now Oct 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hello! We are two Canadians who planned most of a trip to the Grand Canyon, but screwed up on permits. We are looking to share someone's permit on Thursday November 8 and Friday November 9.

We spoke to the visitor centre and they said this is ok - 6 people per permit (all people need to be listed at pick up). We'd be happy even to pay for the whole thing. Also, we have one for Saturday the 10th and are happy to share.

Please help us - this is our dream and we feel so foolish that we might have ruined it. This would definitely give you good karma at least up until the winter holidays!

Please email Danielle: dn492316@dal.ca

Thanks!

Julia and Danielle

2 Answers Oct 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    • Want to share a 1 way mule ride from bottom of Grand Canyon

by Monday55 Online Now Oct 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I am trying to find one or more people who would like to share a mule ride up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon from Phantom Ranch on October 11, 2012. I have reserved a one way ride from the bottom of the Grand Canyon to the South Rim. The problem is they require you to pay for 5 mules even if you only have one rider!! I have one other person who may join me on this ride, so there are either 3 or 4 mules available.

This is a great way to get from the Colorado River to the Rim of the Grand Canyon for someone who doesn't want to do the strenuous hike up out of the canyon or prefers the view from a mule.

If you are interested, please contact me! I will need to hear from you before October 4, 2012 to add you to the trip.

If you have other suggestions on how to connect with people who may want to share this service, I'd appreciate those as well.

Thanks,

Carolyn

3 Answers Oct 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    • Can't choose a grand canyon tour- help!!

by miss_ash Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Hello!

Okay, so basically I'm going insane trying to choose a grand canyon tour (4 of us are traveling together and everyone keeps changing their mind-sigh!)

We have decided we definitely want a south rim tour from Vegas, and preferably one that flies you there, has a bus tour around the lookout points with time to get out and taker photos and then flies you back in the one day (we don't have time to stay overnight).

We have beenlooking at 'grand canyon tour company' and 'grand canyon fun trips' both of which offer a 'air and ground tour' that does what we want and is fairly cheap at249 each.
      Has anyone had experienceon these tours? I know lots take you down into the canyon but we would rather get the views from up top.
      Any advice would be so appreciated...we have been trying to book one for weeks

4 Answers Nov 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    • Indian Garden Campsite

by amitab Online Now Jun 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Hello, me and my friend acquired a permit to hike into the grand canyon and camp overnight (one night) at Indian Garden Campsite, on the Bright Angel Trail.
      I would like to ask for recommendation for the best 2-days hike under these circumstances. I was thinking getting down from the South Keibab trail, heading to the Colorado river, and then go back up to the camp (first day), and the second day to go back up through the Bright Angel Trail. Is that a good idea?

6 Answers Jun 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    • Jeans Thrown In Grand Canyon

by GrandCanyonite Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Has anybody heard about a new company that will throw your jeans into the Grand Canyon and ship them back to you? Sounds like an awesome souvenir but I can't remember the company doing it.

3 Answers Apr 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    • 2AussiesPNG's Profile Photo

Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon and Vegas

by 2AussiesPNG Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Hi - we're two Aussies new to Virtual Tourist. We're enjoying reading everyones response to the various questions, but still have a few questions.

We're going to Salt Lake City for a work event late June, followed by 5 to 6 days of exploring on our own early July. We're hoping to hire a car and travel from Salt Lake City to Bryce Canyon, overnight stay here, then to Monument Valley for 1 night, then to Grand Canyon South Rim for 1 night, then to Vegas for 1 night, before flying home the next day.

Our questions are:
      Is this an agenda that will cover the basics and will we have enough time to travel this agenda without rushing too much? We know we won't have time to do a lot of hiking, but mainly want to view the various areas, and take lots of photos.
      Are we able to drive a hire car on all roads in this area - our main concern is the road into Monument Valley [hoping to stay at The View] as we've been told it is a dirt road. Do you need a 4x4? What is the best type of vehicle to hire for this trip? Will hire car companies charge additional fees? And yes, we know we need to book accommodation as soon as possible. Have only just found out that we will be doing the trip.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! We really wish we had more time to see everything, but I guess we'll just have to come back again.

9 Answers May 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    • Need Grand Canyon Trip Advice

by wingerd Online Now Apr 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Just moved to Tempe, AZ. Want to plan a weekend trip to the Grand Canyon but am unsure where to even start. Most of the web sites seem incomplete. I am wanting to stay somewhere that has a good view of the canyon or at least close to where we could walk there easily. Someplace that has plenty of access to the tours, trails, and views. I have seen a lot of sites offering guided tours via helicoptor, jeep, ATV, or horse/mule. I want to do some of the hiking on our own but wouldn't mind a tour as they would know the best places. I was looking at the Holiday Inn on the south rim or the lodge to have access to the skywalk, but am unsure what else is available from those points. I have spent a hours on the internet trying to find my answers and sent several emails to no avail. Coming back to a pool after the day would be nice.

7 Answers Apr 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    • SuzyandRichard's Profile Photo

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

by SuzyandRichard Online Now Mar 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

My husband and I will be vacationing in Las vegas in May and are planning an overnight visit to the Grand Canyon. Any travel tips would be appreciated. We were thinking of trying to stay in one of the cabins..Anyone ever stay in one? Any lodging suggestions? Best place for sunrise and sunset??? How about the helicopter ride?? dining options?? What to wear?? Easy hiking trails?? Thank you in advance for your input!!! If you have any recomendation for Vegas I would love those tips also..

4 Answers Nov 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    • July 2012 Grand Canyon area trip

by lchapman93 Online Now Mar 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Hello! My husband and I are planning a "last minute" trip to the Grand Canyon for our family -- 3 kids (14, 14, 10). They are road warriors and love the national park trips. We are going the first week of July (Friday to the following Sunday) and have just made the decision, so there has been no chance, unfortunately, to pre-plan lodging, etc. We will leave from Missouri and would like to hit the following areas in a large loop -- Bryce, Zion & Grand Canyons, Las Vegas, Monument Valley/4 corners. We would probably make a large circle including Denver/Grand Junction to the north on the way out and either Albuquerque or Santa Fe if time on the way back. My questions are this: is this a realistic route? is any lodging (not camping) still available anywhere?! What are we missing? What is included that could be missed? I have read some posts on this site and have found them very helpful, but still have these questions. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

4 Answers Apr 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    • Day Trip from Las Vegas

by helenslea Online Now Mar 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Does anybody know if there is a company that does a day trip from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon that involves flying by plane or helicopter one way and by bus the other? Alternatively is there one that flies in, includes a helicopter flight into the base of the canyon but also includes some viewing from the South Rim. The only one I could find included viewing from Guano Point which I understand is on the West Rim.

4 Answers Apr 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM