Grand Canyon Travel Answers

change location

Yet another drive-by-yourself from LV to Grand Canyon West rim question

by Alde_NYC Online Now Apr 12, 2006 at 8:27 AM

I apologize if this has been covered already someplace in the forum. I did search for information pertaining to the subject, but mye question is a bit more involved.
Firstly, I know that some of the trip to the west rim from LV is over unpaved roads. Do I need a 4wd for this? Is it just unpaved or are we talking serious dirt road?

I have the route mapped out already thanks to a few web sites and verifying this route with Mapquest and Google but I am windering if there are signs along this route that would aid in the direction of the Grand Canyon.

I know that the west rim is only accesible through the Indian reservation and I believe there is something called the "West Rim Visitors Center". Are there signs directing me to this and is this where I can get any permits or arrange for a local tour?

The key factor here is that this is a ONE DAY only trip. I realize thar the South Rim may have more spectacular views, is part of the National Parks system and may have paved roads all the way, but I don't think I can devote 10-12 houres driving one day .... although if driving to the west rim means hitting in[aved roads, is it possible it might take me just as long even though it's significantly shorter in didtance from LV?

Thanks aver so much (first time visitor to LV, GC .. West for that matter!!)

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Grand Canyon