Grand Bahama Island

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Cheapest way to see the Exuma Cays while staying on Great Exuma

Exuma District Apr 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My fiance and I are travelling to Exuma end of May to get married. Most all our available (ie: saved up) fiances are going into the trip and resort stay so that we get the free wedding. This leave very little disposable income to do much else with. I really want to see the swimming pigs and swim with them and want to visit the iguanas. Most of the boat trips to do so cost a lot. Through the resort it's 325 per person (650 for the both of us!) and the cheapest is 200 per person. I considered renting a boat on our own to go up there one afternoon but the only place I can find is Minn's and you have to stay in Elizabeth Harbor.

So does anyone know a really cheap alternative to seeing these islands or a cheap boat rental place? Neither of us have our captains license but I am no stranger to a basic power boat as those are used for fishing where I'm from (as well as pontoons and such) I understand that this is not quite the same as the ocean waters and would have to really see it to estimate it for myself but I was thinking of a very small (12-15 footer) boat that could stay close to the coasts for traveling up through the Cays there. Are there any locals that do this sort of thing for a low cost?

Just being there is going to be a fantastic thing and being able to see water that clear and blue. This will be my first time ever being out of the country! :) I'm a water baby by nature and nothing thrills me more than spending a week in those waters. Any advice or help at all will be most appreciated. Thanks

more
    • VodaH's Profile Photo

snorkeling

by VodaH Online Now Sep 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My mom and I are planning a snorkeling trip. We have been all over Jamaica and Costa Rica and really enjoy the cliff and rock snorkeling. Question is when is the best time and place in the Bahamas. We don't enjoy big cities and would love a small town that is not so commercial. Asking a lot in this question. lol.

1 Answer Sep 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    • LindseyL's Profile Photo

Beaches near to Lucayan Harbour?

by LindseyL Online Now Apr 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I want to go to the beach near to the cruise port because i have to meet my friends back there at 1pm. what is a super close beach that is in walking distance or only a short (10 min or under) cab ride away?

1 Answer Apr 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    • Trying to plan a trip

by Brad111 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

My wife myself and our 3 teenage boys are looking to travel to Grand Bahama Island for 1 week in early August. We are looking for an area that has good fishing. We would like to find a resort that let's you rent kayaks and fishing gear and be able to go out from the resort and reef fish from the kayaks. We also are looking for spear fishing opportunities and lobster hunting. Snorkeling is also an activity that we would greatly enjoy however reef fishing is the main reason we are going to Grand Bahama Island. If anyone can recommend captains or resorts that fit these guidelines it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Answer Apr 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    • mcwebb123's Profile Photo

Public fishing pier

by mcwebb123 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Is there a public fishing pier on Grand Bahama Island? I can only find 'guided' fishing trips. We just want to fish from shore or a pier. We will be arriving on a cruise boat.

• Guitar, on Grand Bahama Island

by ronnemmers Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Can I rent a guitar at Grand Bahama Island for a week? Is there a guitar / music store on the island?

1 Answer Jan 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    • Carnival port???

by agphillips71 Online Now Nov 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

As I look at the map I see that there are more than one port for cruise ships....which port does carnival dock?

• Transportation on Grand Bahama Island.

by kjinflorida69 Online Now Apr 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I am arriving on Bahamas Celebration cruise ship to the Grand Bahama Island soon and the last time I arrived I only saw that their were taxi's availible to get to the mainland that were very expensive. Is there bus transportation from the port to the mainland that I might have overlooked last time I was there. I hear that there is bus transportation on the Island but Im not sure if it is available at the port. Please help me and my friends save a few pennies so we can have more fun with the drinks once at the mainland. Kevin

1 Answer Apr 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM
    • Cruising in February - how far are the beaches from the Port

by cledmonson Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

We will be cruising at the end of February and one of our stops is Freeport. Are there any beaches close to the port that my family and I can enjoy or will we need to get to the Port Lucaya Marketplace area?

2 Answers Mar 8, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    • Transportation from Ft Lauderdale/Miami to Grand Bahama Island

by lucymae28 Online Now Jan 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM

We have visited your beautiful island many, many times the last was Oct 2010. We are planning another trip in June 2012 and are having trouble finding transportation. We have flown when we lived in GA, but we now live in FL and the cost for 3 of us to fly is1384 which is insane. We used to take the Discovery cruise but they are out of business we understand. Is there another ferry service or ship that we can take, stay our week in Freeport and return to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

2 Answers Dec 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    • Transportation from Freeport Airport o hotel

by maryvanoni Online Now Jun 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

We are a party of 6 and I am wondering what would be the most economical and easy way to get from the Freeport Airport to the Viva Wyndham. Is the taxi price that I have seen posted of15, per person?

1 Answer Sep 27, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    • Dada35's Profile Photo

Golden rock beach

by Dada35 Online Now Oct 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Hi; nest week we will go to Grand Bahama with a ship cruise. Our plan is to go to the Golden rock beach. I would like to ask if anybody know if is low tide in the morning ar in the afternoon. Thanks a lot!

1 Answer Oct 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    • moosie

by moosie1 Online Now Sep 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM

I have a written prescription from a doctor in the USA can i use it in the Bahamas?

1 Answer Mar 24, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    • Rx in Freeport

by moosie1 Online Now Sep 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Can you use American prescriptions in Freeport?

1 Answer Sep 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    • transportation

by shelbychristine Online Now Jul 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I am coming to Freeport on a cruise ship 7/15/09 at 8am.
      What is my most "economical" means of transporation?
      I have to get from the port to Superior Watersports-Port Lucaya Marina by 9:00am.

Thanks, Shelley

1 Answer Feb 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    • Is it cold in January?

by 79jack Online Now Aug 17, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I just booked a trip for my boyfriend and I to go to Grand Bahama Island in early January. What is the average temperature that time of year for that particular island? I've been told that since it's one of the northernmost points of the Bahama island chain that it can be kind of chilly...We're from Minneapolis, Minnesota so anything beats 20 below zero but I would like to know what to expect as far as air and water temp. Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 19, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    • Best Way to Get to the Island

by tu1993 Online Now Jul 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale during Labor day and I want to know if my best option to get to the Bahamas is to take the Discovery Cruise over to the island? If not, what are the best options. I will be traveling alone so what are the best hotels to stay at once I arrive in the Bahamas. What are my travel options to get to the hotel from the port?

Thanks,
      TU

• busses around island

by jgrathwol Online Now Jun 13, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I've read there are cheap busses that run all over the island. I'd like to check out the less touristy places, like the e. end, lucaya nat. park, gold Rock & Barbary beach. I'll be a single female traveling alone. Is this safe? If so, do the busses go to these places?

2 Answers Jul 10, 2008 at 5:10 AM
    • char3782's Profile Photo

nightlife ?

by char3782 Online Now Mar 6, 2007 at 6:41 PM

My friend and I are headed out to Grand Bahama Island in June and I was wondering if you could let me know the best ( and safest) places for two 25 year old girls to meet some fun people and have some fun on the island. I have been reading some of the reviews and I am seeing that the nightlife is not the greatest compared to the other islands and I was wondering if you had any good tips or places you could suggest. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks, char

4 Answers Jun 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    • New Year's Eve

by paolamm Online Now Dec 9, 2006 at 4:44 AM

We will be traveling to the Westin Our Lucaya Resort for New Year´s Eve, is ti a good time to go or will it be cold? should we expect rain?
      Many thanks.

• New Year's Eve

by paolamm Online Now Dec 8, 2006 at 4:10 PM

We will be traveling to the Westin Our Lucaya Resort for New Year´s Eve, is ti a good time to go or will it be cold? should we expect rain?
      Many thanks.

• New Year's Eve

by paolamm Online Now Dec 8, 2006 at 7:21 AM

Many thanks.

• New Years Eve

by darts Online Now Dec 5, 2006 at 8:14 AM

We are going to be on Grand Bahams Island for New Years Eve. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go, what to do, etc, for that evening?

• Ways to get to the island?

by mhenry Online Now Jul 14, 2006 at 8:44 AM

What are some alternate ways to get from Continental US to GBI? Boat? My daughter is getting married there and I have to transport my whole family there so I am looking for the least costly way to do it. TIA

Maggie

1 Answer Jul 28, 2006 at 9:09 PM
    • thedman's Profile Photo

alternative to discovery?

by thedman Online Now Jun 3, 2006 at 8:47 PM

I have been to Grand Bahama twice through Discovery cruise and between the parking, the early morning rush, and the long boat ride I need a change. Does anyone know of any other cruise lines that operate in August that run on a saturday? I'm pretty sure that Bahama Florida Express does not exist any more. I read that the Cloud X out of Palm Beach is discontinuing operation and also Fred Olsen does not operate anymore as well. I prefer to leave from Fort Lauderdale, however if there is anything better I would love to know!

1 Answer Jun 23, 2007 at 1:29 PM
    • heyitslynn's Profile Photo

hhhhmmmm... is it a hurricane??

by heyitslynn Online Now May 27, 2006 at 7:02 AM

We are planning to travel to the Grand Bahamas in mid August. I've been reading alot about the weather, and i am still abit confused. Is it recommended to visit during this time, and should we expect rain or even hurricane weather??

• weather

by tazdaisy Online Now May 22, 2006 at 7:37 AM

when is the best and worst times to travel to grand bahama island, weather wise? Is the island palms resort a good place to stay?

• lollie2006's Profile Photo

Visiting in June

by lollie2006 Online Now Jan 15, 2006 at 10:11 AM

NEED HELP! I don't want to stay at an all inclusive but it seems that is all there is. I would like to stay in the Lucaya area. I want to be on the beach. I don't want to spend a fortune on the hotel, but I would like a nice room for about130.00 per night. Then again...how far am I from the local restaurants? When I eat out at home I spend between40-$60 for a meal.
      I have read about the taxes. What is a per person charge...is it a charge for extra people in the room, or is it an additional tax. Do they charge a tax to leave the island...I read that somewhere...I am not sure where. How about cabs...are they as expensive as I have read in reviews?
      How did the hotels fare this year during hurricane season? Is everything up and running or is it slow in coming back to life?
      THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1 Answer Apr 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM
    • rooms at Viva Fortuna

by penatenbaby Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 8:57 AM

Hello, we are going to the Viva Fortuna Beach over x-mas. We are a little scared after all the reviews, especially about the rooms since some of them seem to be nice but others really crapy with mold etc. We've booked a garden view room. Can anyone tell me which rooms are the nicer ones??? I guess some have been renewed and others haven't.

Thanks

Michelle

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

Cheap flights from New York to Grand Bahama (or anywhere in Bahamas$£"£$"$£)

by tomhoward Online Now Nov 16, 2005 at 12:53 PM

Can anyone suggest the name of a budget airline (eg like JetBlue or SouthWest) that fly from any New York airport to Grand Bahama? We're after a return flight leaving NYC on 27th March and returning 1st April. Not particurly fussed about where in the Caribbean we go, but some of the hotels on GB look quite good.

Many thanks

2 Answers Dec 4, 2005 at 8:49 PM
    • Ferry/boat service from fla coast to freeport/bahamas

by tejasman Online Now Dec 28, 2004 at 11:36 AM

Looking for a company who provides ferry boat/scheduled boat service between florida and Grand Bahama Island.!!! My sister wont fly!!!!!!!Bummer huh...Anyway is there any one out there who knows of anyone/ or company providiing boat service to GBI from Jacksonville, Miami or any port along easter florida coast. Thank You.. Jim Miller, USAF Retired San Antonio Tex 210 496 5337 jsmiller@swbell.net

6 Answers Jan 2, 2005 at 7:52 AM